• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Snooker

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snooker

Despite Higgin's denials, the video footage does look pretty damning:

John Higgins alleged Bribe Video from the News of the World

On another note, I wish they BBC would get shot of Ken Doherty, he's a tulip commentator and murders the English language.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Despite Higgin's denials, the video footage does look pretty damning:

John Higgins alleged Bribe Video from the News of the World

On another note, I wish they BBC would get shot of Ken Doherty, he's a tulip commentator and murders the English language.
    I can't comment on the Vid...... Cos my naughty filter has blocked it!!
    but Ken Doherty I can agree on........ as well as most ex-players turned pundit in most Sports....... with a few Honourable exceptions..... Jonathon Davies is good on Rugby (both codes)...... John Mac is good on Tennis...... The "Wise Monkeys" are OK on MOTD - but I know Jack about Footie so I may be wrong there....

Comment

Clearly they were under duress and just said it because they were afraid for their lifes...

Comment

It's pretty damning isn't it. What I don't get though is why? Surely he's a multi-millionaire through his winnings and sponsorship, so why risk it all for a relatively small 300k euros?
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
          It's pretty damning isn't it. What I don't get though is why? Surely he's a multi-millionaire through his winnings and sponsorship, so why risk it all for a relatively small 300k euros?
          Yeah, plus the prospect of being forever under the thumb of dodgy Russians and perhaps eventually 'disappearing'. Madness. The best he can expect now is to lose £millions.

Comment

Plus, as much as he denies it, WTF was he doing in the room in the first place? Not holidaying in the Ukraine with his agent I wouldn't think...

Alledgedly
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Surely he's a multi-millionaire through his winnings and sponsorship, so why risk it all for a relatively small 300k euros?
              One could probably get multiple payouts from many parties for losing same frame, and also bet on oneself also...

Comment

Plus, as much as he denies it, WTF was he doing in the room in the first place? Not holidaying in the Ukraine with his agent I wouldn't think...

Alledgedly
                I would have thought that it would be easy enough to completely set someone up like this starting by sounding like legitimate business concerns and then throwing the dodgy spanners in the works later.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  One could probably get multiple payouts from many parties for losing same frame, and also bet on oneself also...
                  This and you comment above.

I believe the intimidation angle. When I worked for a large tobacco company they received a phonecall from a sales guy who was working on a big deal after Russia reopened. A container of cigarettes had arrived and they were trying to get payment.

On a conference call to the team & UK CEO
                  SalesGuy 'Hey CEO, the client only wants to pay X!!!'
                  CEO 'No way was the reply, we want Y, that was the deal!!!'
                  SalesGuy "No CEO, really the client only wants to pay X!!!"
                  CEO ' You tell them, its Y or the deal is off!!!'
                  SalesGuy 'No CEO, you dont understand!!!'
                  CEO 'No sales guy you don't understand!!!!!'
                  Salesguy 'No CEO, you dont understand. I'm in a room with a gun to my head!! Let's do it for X!!!!!'
                  CEO 'Errrrrr. X it is!'

So frankly, it seemed way dodgy. If Higgins wanted to make 300k from bet fixing, well frankly they could bet on their own matches.

This is yet another tulip Sheik sting from the News of the World!
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    I would have thought that it would be easy enough to completely set someone up like this starting by sounding like legitimate business concerns and then throwing the dodgy spanners in the works later.
                    WHS with bells on! All bollocks IMHO!
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X