• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government deficits are immoral and tyrannical

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government deficits are immoral and tyrannical

When a government runs a deficit it enslaves its people to the banks and the IMF. A government should always run a surplus during periods of growth so as to keep reserves for periods of low growth or recession or national crisis.

The people of Greece are a case in point; they are no longer citizens of a democracy. They are the minions of a bank. They have been willfully exposed to the whims of kleptomaniacs who will now speculate with their livelihoods. They have been sold as slaves by their elected representatives.

Let this be a warning to Britain. I would suggest a new constitution that ensures that government may only spend the money it has already received in taxes, may not introduce retrospective tax legislation or ‘clarification’, may not base spending on ‘projected growth’, and any minister whose spending exceeds the amount of tax brought in in the previous year minus 5% to keep as reserve must be sacked and banned from holding office.

The only excuse for deficit, in my mind, is to finance a defensive war against an invading force. NO other excuse must be tolerated.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

An interesting article reflecting your thoughts about deficits and the US Republican line Mich.

Not that I'm saying you're wrong, mind...

But I think that this is one of the main reasons Greece won't be able to dig it's way out of the mess it's in. The real reason behind Greek economic problems.

It may be a democracy, but only just...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      I often agree with US republican words on fiscal policy, but their actions when in power are another matter altogether. I think it was PJ O'Rourke who said the democrats will promise you that the government can make you happy, healthy and make your grass grown greener, then tax you for not achieving the results. The republicans will tell you that government doesn't work, then get into power and prove it.

Comment

Britain became a world power by going into debt (for better or for worse).

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
          And now we've got the biggest debt ever merely to maintain our status as a 2nd rate European country.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
            Things have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              The people of Greece are a case in point; they are no longer citizens of a democracy. They are the minions of a bank. They have been willfully exposed to the whims of kleptomaniacs who will now speculate with their livelihoods. They have been sold as slaves by their elected representatives
              Piffle, as you know well. It's factors such as:
              • Tax evasion in Greece is rife.
              • Many government workers never show up for work
              • Pension entitlement at 53 (IIRC)

that have enslaved the Greeks. i.e. they are now victims of their own greed.

No sympathy here.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

No sympathy here.
                Merely an extreme version of us, profligacy-wise.
                As a country we're not much better and heading the same way.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

No sympathy here.
                  Yip, and by all the measures that were available at the time, they should have never been allowed into the EU... however the EU (well Germany and France) wanted a mass land grab. It will haunt them.

Comment

Working...
                  X