• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's it all that about?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's it all that about?

Dear All

I've been receiving calls, on my mobile, from a sierra leone number - when I answer, I just hear 'hello' and the line goes dead.

What's the scam?

I don't bother ringing the number.

T

Ps... Sorry about the tittle - I'm pissed!!
    Last edited by Tingles; 4 May 2010, 17:42.

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    Dear All

I've been receiving calls, on my mobile, from a sierra leone number - when I answer, I just hear 'hello' and the line goes dead.

What's the scam?

I don't bother ringing the number.

T

Ps... Sorry about the tittle - I'm pissed!!
    Thats the scam, to get you to call back. Someone somewhere will be making money out of the call.

That or it's some poor bastard who's been kidnapped and is trying to ring for help
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Thats the scam, to get you to call back. Someone somewhere will be making money out of the call.

That or it's some poor bastard who's been kidnapped and is trying to ring for help
      Oh Ive heard of these. Basically some poor sap has been kidnapped and is trying to escape. If you phone him back, he will reward you by paying money into your bank account.

Just wire him $5000 to get a return of $1000000!!!

Boomed!!! Well done!
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Somebody from Sierra Leone has mistakenly been given your number instead of the one he really wants. People used to say "sorry, I must have got the wrong number" when they got a wrong number, but nowadays the world has gone to hell in a handcart and they just dump the phone down because their time is valuable and they certainly don't want to waste it talking to some scumbag who can't even be bothered to be the right person.

There is no scam apart from your Wykehamist fallacy

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
          Somebody from Sierra Leone has mistakenly been given your number instead of the one he really wants. People used to say "sorry, I must have got the wrong number" when they got a wrong number, but nowadays the world has gone to hell in a handcart and they just dump the phone down because their time is valuable and they certainly don't want to waste it talking to some scumbag who can't even be bothered to be the right person.

There is no scam apart from your Wykehamist fallacy

Trouble is.... multiple calls over the past week.

Comment

Working...
          X