• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloody clever scam!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody clever scam!

Got one of these in today's post. Looked proper hand written envelope with real stamp and post-it note, with torn out bit of newspaper. And who hasn't got a mate who could sign him/herself 'J'? Have been puzzling over the mysterious J all day having ruled out a couple of likely candidates. Took me a bottle of wine to realise it was a marketing scam.

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Got one of these in today's post. Looked proper hand written envelope with real stamp and post-it note, with torn out bit of newspaper. And who hasn't got a mate who could sign him/herself 'J'? Have been puzzling over the mysterious J all day having ruled out a couple of likely candidates. Took me a bottle of wine to realise it was a marketing scam.
    I got the same, it didn't take me so long since the only J I could think of is my eldest son who wouldn't ever post to me and I know his handwriting.
    It's a novel approach, but it didn't stop either of us from binning it so it's still junk

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
      Do many of your friends post you stuff like this?

Comment

KUATB

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ic-plan-b.html
        Still Invoicing

Comment

One of the responses:

Yes this duped me completely. I actually signed up and gave my credit card details which I’m now seriously regretting!
          Sounds like a funny reply, but there's more...

If you type “chris cardell scam” into Google you will find a lot of other websites that have reported the same thing.

It’s a shame because it all sounded quite good, until I realised I had been tricked. I now don’t trust him one bit.
          Either a very clever double bluffer of a joke or they really did get conned.

Comment

that's a good effort. I had a similar thing a few months ago but it was much cruder (i.e. much less crude if you catch my drift).
            quick tip though: proper handwriting will leave pressure tracks or thickness variations.

Comment

We all discussed this a few weeks ago on the board. Do keep up!
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by marillionfan View Post
                we all discussed this a few weeks ago on the board. Do keep up!
                kuatb mf
                Still Invoicing

Comment

Does The Times really use Arial for the datelines on the internal pages of its print edition? Helvetica I might understand, but Arial???

That was the most obvious point for me (along with the fact that they haven't used Times New Roman since the Sixties), but YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Does The Times really use Arial for the datelines on the internal pages of its print edition? Helvetica I might understand, but Arial???

That was the most obvious point for me (along with the fact that they haven't used Times New Roman since the Sixties), but YMMV.
                    Didn't they use "Times Roman"........
                    I thought "Times New Roman" was a sort of True Type imposter........

Comment

Working...
                    X