• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

****wit expenses / daily rate question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

****wit expenses / daily rate question

i know asking this makes me sound retarded & life can't be this sweet but I hate to miss a trick so I'm going to ask anyway . . .

under umbrella co. don't suppose expenses claimed from client can also be claimed as sched e?

& if you are on a daily rate and do a 4 hour day do you claim for half a day or a day? just thinking that client is quite happy to stretch the definition of a day outwards so maybe I should do the same . . .

one more idiot question

. . . my umbrella says to claim for a new computer via sched e you have to prove that it's exclusively for work use yadda, yadda.

how can you prove this? or how can they disprove it?

it's not like anyone uses any computer soley for work use. like you don't send personal emails @ work, or check out whatever floats your boat on the net every now & again.

would actually appreciate advice. look @ it as your good deed for the day.

Comment

Originally posted by monkey
      . . . my umbrella says to claim for a new computer via sched e you have to prove that it's exclusively for work use yadda, yadda.
      well, they are sort of right. you can't claim full expenses under schedule e where you also gain a benefit from the expense. the attached link explains it.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/senew/SE31660.htm

but, at exactly the same time, they are wrong. this example (by the Inland Revenue themselves, no less), shows how you can claim a proportion of the costs of the new computer, provided that you only claim a "reasonable" propoprtion.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/senew/SE31617.htm

so, I reckon you can probably reclaim the majority of the costs.

... but that's my good deed for the day, now, on to the matter of (nearly) copying my name. there's only room for one monkey on this forum....

now where's my bottle of wine?
      Plan A is located just about here.
      If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Working...
      X