• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speaker question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaker question

As the Speaker doesn't vote in the commons, does it matter what party he is?

Does he count in a working majority, or would the Tories have to get one more seat to make up for it?

I live in his constituency, and I was thinking of voting against him.

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

Does he count in a working majority, or would the Tories have to get one more seat to make up for it?

I don't think the Speaker votes - but obviously he has lots of power - he decides who gets to speak, he has a say in what gets to be spoken about etc, So although he is meant to be impartial etc that would require a man (or woman) of impeccable morals, strength of character and integrity beyond reproach......... and the current Speaker qualifies by...... well my opinion may be different from yours and I won't slander him publicly........

Your vote is your business..... but if the incumbent Speaker failed to get re-elected it would be hugely damning to the (old) Government.... especially if they managed to scrape a "win" in the wider election......

Comment

I wish I had the opportunity to vote against him.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Vote for Nick you know it's the right thing to do

Comment

The speaker will vote if the vote would otherwise be tied, although he is no longer taking the party whip.

So essentially a vote would have to be lost anyway before the lack of a vote from the speaker becomes an issue.

No government can survive for long with a wafer thin majority because the politicians are a bunch of ill-disciplined rabble and sooner or later one or more will start to vote against their own party if they think that there is something for them to gain out of it.

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
          s..... but if the incumbent Speaker failed to get re-elected it would be hugely damning to the (old) Government.... especially if they managed to scrape a "win" in the wider election......
          By convention the other parties do not field candidates against the speaker. It is just in this election the UKIP bloke is opportunistically standing against him along with a few other cranks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
            By convention the other parties do not field candidates against the speaker. It is just in this election the UKIP bloke is opportunistically standing against him along with a few other cranks.
            Absolutely!!! and if he failed to Win against that mob....... It would be an absolute disgrace for GB and his troops!!!

IIRC the was a bit of "debate" about wether the Tories and LibDems were going to stand against him this time.... probably just "leaks & rumours"... cos if they did stand against him and lose - they would lose even more "face" than him/Labour...........

Comment

Yeah.... top 4 posts
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                Absolutely!!! and if he failed to Win against that mob....... It would be an absolute disgrace for GB and his troops!!!

IIRC the was a bit of "debate" about wether the Tories and LibDems were going to stand against him this time.... probably just "leaks & rumours"... cos if they did stand against him and lose - they would lose even more "face" than him/Labour...........

Um - I feel I should point out that the speaker is actually a Tory. So if he is not elected it won't really reflect on Labour.
                Loopy Loo

Comment

Originally posted by lje View Post
                  Um - I feel I should point out that the speaker is actually a Tory. So if he is not elected it won't really reflect on Labour.
                  It will to some extent because Labour picked him because they knew it would get up Cameron's nose. Blair started it all by picking another Labour MP to be Speaker when by right it was the Conservatives turn. Since then it's gone from bad to worse. I so hope Farage wins.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by lje View Post
                    Ooooops! Sorry Drewster 100% wrong.....

Still - only about par for my postings!!

Comment

Working...
                    X