• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working In The City in IT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working In The City in IT

Working In The City in IT.

Its hard to get into. The people are a pain. You only get about 20-25% more than other contracts. You are treated badly and looked upon by the business as inferior, the women employed for their looks sneer at you all.

Is it worth it ?

your views and comments please.

Good experiences and bad alike much appreciated.

the women employed for their looks
    I thought that the men in the city were now having cosmetic surgery to keep up with their looks too.

Comment

Cow tipping, in and of itself, however, is a prank. It's designed to get the one or two tippers out in the middle of a field with cow poop all over the place in the dark with an angry cow that has just woken up after someone pushed it over.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I am on my first investment banking contract. Yes, it's a little closed boys club, but I'm having a really good time. The overall quality on the team is very high, the software is very well designed, there are lap dancing clubs in close vacinity, and I am earning a wedge. Can't see myself staying the City for too long as I have other priorities, but my experience on the whole has been good and I would recommend it.

Comment

Worked in city for 6 years now and most of the big name banks both European and US, 4 years permy, 2 years contract.

My general conclusion is it’s a good laugh, screw the fact some people treat you crappy, and just wait for the pay checks to come in, theres 575 reasons as day I stay . Ok there is not a lot of women but that’s in the office, if you ever venture out there is loads of nice women.

Permy salaries are also good, I worked in HR IT at a bank at one point and I could see all salaries and bonuses, an average IT manager in Investment Banking is on around £90 - £95k (sal and bonus), an IT head (junior one not board level) has a package of around £200k to £250k, a developer around £65k - £80k sal and bonus.

Bottom line is the money, yes its long hours, yes it can be stressful, but when you get the pay check its worth it. Not sure if I would be so keen if I had kids and a family, but Ive worked in the city from the age of 23 and its given me everything I wanted materially.

Comment

As long as there's no chance of accidentally bumping into Chico, working in the City should be okay.

Comment

.....regarding hours

I work in a city for an organisation that claims to care about work balance and want people to work only for 7 hours a day and overtime is frowned upon.
              To my experience this is even worse as it creates a very stressful enviroment as people have to do a huge amount of work in a shorter time (things are the same as other city companies - lots of work, things have to be done in time).

I find that the stress is the ultimate killer, more than working hours. Perhaps if you have kids you would desperately need those hours, yet if you have to recovery from the stress I don't think you can really enjoy those hours properly.
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
              X