• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ever seen an email storm?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw an email storm in the company I work for last week.

Somebody in a US office mistakenly copied in a list containing 500 people on a email entitled Delivery and saying something like "Hey Jane, your delivery is now available in room blah".

It started off with individuals asking to be taken off the list and copying everyone in.

After about ten of those the first do not use reply all please was sent. It continued up to 80 emails.

I am sad enough that I counted them. 35 were people asking to be taken off the list, 40 were people saying please do not use reply to all and 5 were people making jokes about the situation while replying to all.

One variant of the "please do not reply to all" was someone thinking they were smart by replying to a previous PDNRTA by saying "People know not to do it but they always do". The sender had somehow managed to include all 500 email addresses expanded in the email which massively increased the size to 3MB.

The email servers fell over and took till the late evening for some mails to come through.

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
    Saw an email storm in the company I work for last week.

Somebody in a US office mistakenly copied in a list containing 500 people on a email entitled Delivery and saying something like "Hey Jane, your delivery is now available in room blah".

It started off with individuals asking to be taken off the list and copying everyone in.

After about ten of those the first do not use reply all please was sent. It continued up to 80 emails.

I am sad enough that I counted them. 35 were people asking to be taken off the list, 40 were people saying please do not use reply to all and 5 were people making jokes about the situation while replying to all.

One variant of the "please do not reply to all" was someone thinking they were smart by replying to a previous PDNRTA by saying "People know not to do it but they always do". The sender had somehow managed to include all 500 email addresses expanded in the email which massively increased the size to 3MB.

The email servers fell over and took till the late evening for some mails to come through.
    Try 15000 users sent the same mail 15000 times, twice, (second time as they tried to fix it) Then add the complain mails as above, but it didn't bring the server down

But it took about 2 hours to clean my mail box.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Wot, no replies to the "do not reply to all" messages? As in do not reply to all when making "do not reply to all" messages.

Comment

I once accidently sent a very personal indeed email intended for the girlfriend (then working in Berlin) regarding the level of fullness of my sacks (you get the picture....), to the Bolton Wanderers Mailing List, 180 people at the time, there's roughly five of us now....

Comment

Had something similar when I was a techie.

Mail server, Exchange 5.5, was grinding to a halt.

Did some troubleshooting and found the offending email - it was a word document with photographs pasted into it.

The bint who sent it had recently been on holiday and wanted to share here snaps leading to a 70Mb file.

The best bit was she sat right behind me - as I managed the site on my own, I used to sit within the business.

Should have seen her face drain of blood, I kid you not, when I broke the news to her that she had caused the mail system to grind to a halt. When I saw her face, I quickly re-assured her it wasn't anything to worry about as these things happen.

Comment

Had an inbox of 16,000 once due to a toxic combination of out-of-office replies.

but more amusingly, I also once saw a feed of commodity prices suddenly stop dead because the client's brand new profanity filter decided one of the marker makers' company names was obscene. It caused a lot more swearing than it prevented on that occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
              Try 15000 users sent the same mail 15000 times, twice, (second time as they tried to fix it) Then add the complain mails as above, but it didn't bring the server down

But it took about 2 hours to clean my mail box.
              Someone sent an advert for some unwanted tickets. Her intention was to send it to just her department, but it went out to 30,000+ staff.

Then someone answered, including all recipients.

And on it rumbled...
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Had one a few years ago where one of the business managers sent a mail out to 300 customers without using a group address. One customers mail server was so badly configured that it shat itself when the mail arrived as it couldnt handle the size of the to: field. It started forwarding on the original mail to all the original recipients, including itself, with our name in the senders field. Every time it got the mail from itself it did the same thing.

Customers were ringing us and shouting becasue they assumed the mails were all coming from us as they were seeing the same sender every time. Took the best part of two days to identify the real culprit and get them to sort out their server.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  Someone sent an advert for some unwanted tickets. Her intention was to send it to just her department, but it went out to 30,000+ staff.

Then someone answered, including all recipients.

And on it rumbled...
                  I thought the funniest part was the second mail, with an apology about the earlier mail saying “we fixed it” sent 15000 to each person.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
                    I've caused a few, but not since it became illegal.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X