• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Questions to ask house owner of place I'd like to buy (maybe)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions to ask house owner of place I'd like to buy (maybe)

Hi,
    Off to view a property on Monday and will be meeting the owner. I was hoping you wonderful bunch could help me put together some questions to ask and indicate which ones they must answer by law.
    On my list was:
    1) What right of way is there to the garage
    2) Are there protection orders on the feckin huge trees that keep the place in perpetual shadow?
    3) Are there any disputes with the neighbours - what are they like?
    4) Did they have a survey done when they moved in in 2006 - can I have a copy
    5) .......erm

It sold for £225K at the begining of 04 and them at £242,500 towards the end of 06. Asking is £250K. Next door which has a lot in common went for £195 first quarter 2002

Thanking you

No.3 is very important.

A mate of mine sold his house at around 15% below average for the area (as a whole) as the street he lived on had quite a few undesirables living there, 2 years later he's still locked in a legal battle with the buyer who claimed he was never told about the nuisance neighbours.

The buyer (who didn't know the area) never questioned why it was 15% below average but it would have been pretty obvious to anyone who knows the town, thats the argument my mate is using.

They're in court next month and my mate is expecting to payout anything between £5K-£60k.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Make sure you check the broadband!

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        No.3 is very important.

A mate of mine sold his house at around 15% below average for the area (as a whole) as the street he lived on had quite a few undesirables living there, 2 years later he's still locked in a legal battle with the buyer who claimed he was never told about the nuisance neighbours.

The buyer (who didn't know the area) never questioned why it was 15% below average but it would have been pretty obvious to anyone who knows the town, thats the argument my mate is using.

They're in court next month and my mate is expecting to payout anything between £5K-£60k.
        Since when did the seller have to provide that level of detail, and take on responsibility for said neighbours?
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Have they had any grants for the house (means you can't get them)

Why are they moving (and if they look at one of the other houses round-abouts then there is a neighbour dispute)

Just drop into conversation about mail redirection and ask if they're still getting mail for previous owners (could be an indication the address has a bad credit rating, which will damage yours by association)
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            Since when did the seller have to provide that level of detail, and take on responsibility for said neighbours?
            Don't know, apparently it's a standard question to be asked if there were any disputes which they said there were not, define dispute? I'm not a lawyer but it's going to court so there must be some sort of case?
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              Whenever I have sold a property it has been in the list of questions sent by the other parties solicitor, so a direct question that you can't avoid if you do have problem neighbours ( without telling fibs ). But, saying that, a friend of ours recently sold a property that had a nutter neighbour, the police had been called on a number of occasions. The list of questions the other solicitor sent never asked the question, so they said nowt and got away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                Hi,
                Off to view a property on Monday and will be meeting the owner. I was hoping you wonderful bunch could help me put together some questions to ask and indicate which ones they must answer by law.
                On my list was:
                2) Are there protection orders on the feckin huge trees that keep the place in perpetual shadow?
                5) .......erm

It sold for £225K at the begining of 04 and them at £242,500 towards the end of 06. Asking is £250K. Next door which has a lot in common went for £195 first quarter 2002

Thanking you
                Have a look online at the land registry before you start paying for solicitors, you should be able to see the proper plot and read the deeds, and pick up if there are any charges against the property.

Comment

Hi,
                  On my list was:
                  5) .......erm

Thanking you
                  5) Will you take a 50% reduction?

Comment

Hi,
                    On my list was:
                    5) .......erm

Thanking you
                    5) Do the radiators need bleeding
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X