• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Harrods sold by Al Fayed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harrods sold by Al Fayed

Its confirmed Al Fayed has sold Harrods.

I live near to Harrods and upon entering it say at 7:10pm on a Friday night it was practically empty. Every time I've wanted to go in and shop on a Saturday with my medium sized leather bag they've always denied entry and told me to leave my bag in a holding area where they charge £3.50 for temporary storage - which I never complied with (had to hide the bag under my long coat and enter via a different entrance), no other shop in London does this and hence my spending habits have moved away from Harrods over the last year.

Times are indeed tough.

It was Eliquant wot did it.

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    hence my spending habits have moved away from Harrods over the last year.
    That explains why they had to sell it!

Comment

Presumably there will be a nice new branch of Spar opening in Knightsbridge soon then. There's already one on The Strand, which always pleases me when I go past.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
        Presumably there will be a nice new branch of Spar opening in Knightsbridge soon then. There's already one on The Strand, which always pleases me when I go past.
        posh people need fags, booze and pringles at 10pm too!
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Does Harrods have mail order?

Comment

Will the new owners move the Princess Diana and Dodi al Fayed Memorial to the 'store room'?

Diana and Dodi Memorial

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              Will the new owners move the Princess Diana and Dodi al Fayed Memorial to the 'store room'?

Diana and Dodi Memorial
              Probably not.

Mr Costa, chairman of asset managers Lazard International, who advised the Al Fayed family trust on the sale, said Qatar Holding had been "specifically chosen" by Mr Al Fayed because he believed it had the "vision and financial capacity" to support the long-term growth of the store.

"In reaching the decision to retire, he wished to ensure that the legacy and traditions that he has built up in Harrods would be continued, and that the team that he has built up would be encouraged to develop the foundations that he has laid," Mr Costa added.
              Source

On a side note, we'll no longer be able to call Al Fayed the Egyptian Grocer!

Comment

There's already one on The Strand, which always pleases me when I go past.

Huh? Why, exactly?
                You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

I must admit that out of the Big 3 of Harrods, Harvey Nicks and Selfridges, Harrods is my favourite. The other two go for a neoclassical minimalism with stick-thin sniffy staff, but Harrods have chosen an exuberant upmarket jumble-sale feel (is their Christmas department open yet?). If Bacchus came to London he'd shop at Harrods, probably agreeing to meet the more fashion-paranoid Juno and Apollo in the Rib Room afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
                    There's already one on The Strand, which always pleases me when I go past.

Huh? Why, exactly?
                    Well, you know, The Strand - King's College London, The Savoy, the Royal Courts of Justice, Simpson's-in-the-Strand, Coutts & Co... and Spar.

It's like if there was a Greggs on the Champs-Élysées.

Comment

Working...
                    X