• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The way forward

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The way forward

If I were a Tory strategist looking to cosy up to the LibDems, my number one piece of advice would be as follows. I'd suggest that PR be trialled for a period of let's say oh....50 years, on a regional basis. Starting with the 2 devolved areas, Scotland and Wales. If successful () it could then be rolled out slowly across the north of England and then into urban areas so that the seating plan in the House of Commons far better represents the views of the Electorate as a whole. What do the panel think?
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    If I were a Tory strategist looking to cosy up to the LibDems, my number one piece of advice would be as follows. I'd suggest that PR be trialled for a period of let's say oh....50 years, on a regional basis. Starting with the 2 devolved areas, Scotland and Wales. If successful () it could then be rolled out slowly across the north of England and then into urban areas so that the seating plan in the House of Commons far better represents the views of the Electorate as a whole. What do the panel think?
    Not bad, although I suspect the Lib Dems would reject this.

Can't see why Dave doesn't just say "yes you can have a referendum on PR, but I'll campaign against the Yes vote". In the meantime he gets to govern, and has the chance to choose a favourable time to have another election over the next year or so - it's a distinct possibility Labour will have a civil war over the replacement leader and thus fade even more at the next election. A lot more Lib Dem support will fade away too, as many of their supporters will think "what's the point?". Why is Dave dithering over this? Has he caught Brown's syndrome?
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

How about the transferable vote system where you give first, second, etc choices?

You could try it out in a few Labour areas. In middle class ones they would vote 1. Green, 2. Labour and in working class ones they would vote 1. BNP, 2. Labour. In Muslim areas the local Imam would vote for every one as 1. Islamic revolutionary party, 2. Labour.

I actually like the transferable vote system, but I know that it would cause totally mayhem; which I like too. However, that is another good reason to cut the size of government and it's activities so it can cause less damage.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
      X