• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour and London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labour and London

Interesting that the smallest swing from Labour to the Cons was in the inner London seats like Hammersmith (much smaller swing than Sunderland). It's all you bloody London lefties fault.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 8 May 2010, 16:28.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Interesting that the smallest swing from Labour to the Cons was in the inner London seats like Hammersmith (much smaller swing than Sunderland). It's all you bloody London lefties fault.
    Do you live or have you lived in inner London?

If you have you would realise there are a lot more poor people than rich people, and it's hard for both Labour and the Tories to shake of their old stereotypes.

Plus a know a lot of people who voted for their MP (regardless of party) on what that MP has done for them. It's amazing the effect of an MPs letter on councils, organisations and companies.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I have and I know the problems, at least you admit to them.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Why do poor people live in such an expensive place? NMW doesn't get weighting does it?
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          Why do poor people live in such an expensive place? NMW doesn't get weighting does it?
          Many people have lived there for generations and pass on their council flat to their siblings. Many get loads of benefits and get a subsidized (peppercorn) non market rent. Many then sub-let a room or two to some city worker for £300+ a week, I kid you not. Really they should not be living there.

Comment

Once your rent is accounted for (either by hsg benefit, or perhaps you have cheap rent anyway with a HA) then London isn't that expensive. Plenty of cheap ethnic places to eat, free newspapers, special promotions etc. I imagine heating bills are lower than the rest of the country too, as the micro climate means London is generally warmer.

Most expensive place to live is in a village. The local shop (if it still exists) overcharges for stuff, and you pay more for local transport in order to get anywhere.
            Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Whatever happened to the Caroline Flint plan to redistribute the London unemployed to other parts of the country?
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                London isn't that expensive.
                I'll think about next time when I have to buy peak time train ticket to London - £140 for reasonably fast (1 h 20 mins) train to Euston from Brum

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  I'll think about next time when I have to buy peak time train ticket to London - £140 for reasonably fast (1 h 20 mins) train to Euston from Brum
                  So you're saying London is expensive because it costs a lot for people who don't live there to travel?
                  I doubt low-income Londers often buy train tickets TO London, where they live.
                  Seems like living outside London is dearer based on your argument.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Moving across the country is expensive and stressful. Especially since other parts of the country have less jobs.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X