• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Train operators accused of 'astronomical' fare rises

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Train operators accused of 'astronomical' fare rises

Some of the UK's biggest train operators are being accused of "astronomical" fare rises, as a result of extending peak-time hours. The rail watchdog Passenger Focus says that some fares have nearly quadrupled since last year.

Train companies say that the number of people affected by such rises is "tiny".

Since January, over 180 trains a week have been rescheduled as "peak-time", a BBC survey found.

By redesignating trains as "peak", this allows train companies to increase fares without needing permission from the regulator.

Edward Welsh, of the Association of Train Operating Companies (Atoc), says the vast majority of travellers have seen fares fall, stay the same or rise below the rate of inflation.

"The average increase in fares this January was 1.1%. That's the lowest since privatisation 15 years ago," he says. (AtW's comment: )

One train affected by the rises is the 0950 Virgin Trains service from Birmingham to London.

Last year this train was off peak. But after Virgin decided to extend ticket restrictions for more than an hour a day, it is now peak. Antony Ray Commuter Antony Ray has seen his ticket price more than triple

On board, we found businessman Antony Ray, who has no choice but to use this particular service.

As a result of the changes, his fare from Telford to London has more than tripled from £45 to £158 for a return journey.

"It's crazy," he says. "You basically can't get down to London and get back in time for meetings. The car's much cheaper."

Last year, taking the 0915 from London Euston to Manchester, returning at 0855 the next day, would have cost £66.

Now that Virgin has extended its peak hours, the same ticket costs £262.

Anthony Smith, of Passenger Focus, says such rises are astronomical.

"Tinkering with ticket restrictions causes confusion. And if your journey has gone up by four times, you're going to feel you've been done," he says.

More: BBC News - Train operators accused of 'astronomical' fare rises

-------

Ok, peak time highest use etc - but WTF price differential is THAT big? 3 times difference in price between 9:50 and 10:15 (I usually take this train when I go to London on SKA business) is a complete and utter bollox.

I mean FFS, £45 is not bad money to get 120 miles by the most efficient mode of transport - train.

This would have never happened under Tories!

Trains are only the most efficient form of transport in an O'level physics world view. Reality is they're really freaking expensive things to operate. But no one in government has the backbone to stand up and say lets just tarmac the lot over.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      Reality is they're really freaking expensive things to operate.
      For some reason in mainland Europe they found a way to build very fast trains and operate them with reasonable prices.

Like say why it costs less for a 2 hour journey under freaking channel to Paris on high speed train than to get to bog standard London route in the morning?

They have fast, punctual and affordable trains in JAPAN - country that has to design stuff for massive earthquakes, why can't this work in the UK?

Comment

Alexie, why not just buy a car and stop stressing about trains?

Public transport, apart from commuting, is for losers (*)

(*) and kids and pensioners and the disabled I suppose, but presumably you're none of those.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Alexie, why not just buy a car and stop stressing about trains?
          I've already got a car.

Driving to London is crap experience, also train and actually are now even in this country faster than cars. They could have been faster even further AND much more affordable. China is planning to build like 12,000 miles of high speed rail track in the next 5 years alone ffs.

Comment

I like trains. Despite them being plastic and kind of crap these days, it's still a nice way to travel - read a book, have a nap or just watch the scenery go past.

One of the lines going through Durham (I can't remember the name, Western something?) still has older-style carriages... big seats, they pour you coffee on 1st class, etc. It's romantic but a dying breed.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I like trains. Despite them being plastic and kind of crap these days, it's still a nice way to travel - read a book, have a nap or just watch the scenery go past.

One of the lines going through Durham (I can't remember the name, Western something?) still has older-style carriages... big seats, they pour you coffee on 1st class, etc. It's romantic but a dying breed.
              In the early seventies I used to commute by train to London. Every week I used to buy a holiday ticket that gave unlimited 2nd class travel; it was cheaper that a season ticket. There used to be a proper restaurant en-board (white table clothes and waiter service) so for less than a first class ticket I would sit in the restaurant and have a cooked breakfast on the way to work, and afternoon tea and the way home.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                In the early seventies I used to commute by train to London. Every week I used to buy a holiday ticket that gave unlimited 2nd class travel; it was cheaper that a season ticket. There used to be a proper restaurant en-board (white table clothes and waiter service) so for less than a first class ticket I would sit in the restaurant and have a cooked breakfast on the way to work, and afternoon tea and the way home.
                It's the high cost of passengers like yourself must have ruined it all for everyone now!

Comment

40p per mile car costs according to HMRC so any long distance rail journey that costs over that should be capped and should include a seat.

seems reasonable to me after all it is eco friendly.

Live by the lie go bust by the lie.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    40p per mile car costs according to HMRC
                    Trains don't depreciate by 50%+ after 3 years of ownership.

Comment

Working...
                    X