• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insuring two cars..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insuring two cars..

Having a 'discussion' about this with a mate. I have two cars, one for sunny days and a work horse for the motorway miles so I have both cars insured under my name, gf is named on both if she needs to drive them. As only one of them is out at any one time I feel it is correct to have me as main and her as named on both. She has her own car insured in her name.

Mate has bought his wife a little car for her and the his infants daily use. He has car already in his name for work but he has insured both cars in his name with her as named driver.

Forgive me if I am wrong but isn't that fraudulent use of insurance if she is the main driver? He is convinced as the car is his he can do this. The main reason is she is young and very expensive to insure. By having him as insured and her as named he is avoiding paying the correct premium as she will be main driver and therefore liable to have the insurance invalidated at time of a claim when they ask why she was driving and she says I always do.
    He is arguing his insurance never questioned it but I pointed out he has claimed they are both his.

Whats the score to be on the safe side here?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Last time I had this dilemma I bought an insurance company - it's the cheapest way to be sure they'll payout in case of tulip hitting the fan.

HTH

threaded

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Last time I had this dilemma I bought an insurance company - it's the cheapest way to be sure they'll payout in case of tulip hitting the fan.

HTH

threaded
      Aint that the truth!
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        He is arguing his insurance never questioned it...
        Insurance companies never question anything when taking money. When it comes to paying out, they question everything.

As John Keats wrote, "That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."

Comment

I have this 'home-fleet' style insurance for the private cars and another for the farm vehicle, and another for the trucks. Home-fleet is good if you're a petrol head as you can take any car out for a drive, for instance at a show, and not worrying about bending it, also good if you have multiple homes as most other policies have this 'normally parked' clause.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Does sound dodgy if she's the main driver and not insured as such. You'll only find out though when you claim. Remember the company you're insured with, the company you bought the insurance from, and the company you claim from might all have the same name, but they will be three different companies. So it is pointless asking the people you bought it from for advice, the company you're insured with won't want to talk to you, and neither will the claims unless you have an accident. Car insurance in the UK is quite a scam after all.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Nothing fraudulent as far as I can see. As it happens, I have the same problem as I racked 9 points up in 3 weeks a few years back(from a clean license)

My premium sky rocketed. So immediately on renewal I decided to do a swap with the missus. Her as main driver, myself as second driver.

So I went through all the permutations to get the best deal on (who owned the car, who was first, who was second) and lo and behold!!!!!!

The bloody insurance companies are wise to it and I landed up with getting a premium regardless of who was first/second etc!!!

So he may think he's been clever, but in truth he would have landed up getting clobbered anyway, and as both cars are in his name(you can have as many as you want) shes a second driver.

and if she did have to claim when asked the question about who drives the most. Thats subjective and there is no way in a million years who can check what.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It's called Fronting, it invalidates your policy and if the insurance company finds out about it they won't pay out.

There was a thread on PistonHeads a while ago where a girl had a rather expensive Beemer insured under Daddy's name. She bent it, they didn't pay and she ended up something like 20K out of pocket.

If she'd have hit someone else she'd probably also have been looking at a charge of driving without insurance.
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Our multicar policy from Tesco has both of us as named drivers - there's no "main driver" as such.

I don't think the insurance company asked who would be driving what car at what time, but it's only if they had that you could claim to be fronting.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Having a 'discussion' about this with a mate. I have two cars, one for sunny days and a work horse for the motorway miles so I have both cars insured under my name, gf is blah
                    What's the goss then NL?
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                    X