• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Scratch removal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Scratch removal

All - yes I know this isn't tyresmoke.net but anyone know the best way to remove/hide a number of very superficial scratches in the dark grey metallic paintwork.
    Last edited by lukemg; 10 May 2010, 10:56.

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    All - yes I know this isn't tyresmoke.net but anyone know the best way to remove/hide a number of very superficial scratches in the dark grey metallic.
    Buy a new car.

Threaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      Buy a new car.

Threaded.
      Agreed, that is the plan !

Comment

T-Cut - one of the ones that has the built in colour.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
          All - yes I know this isn't tyresmoke.net but anyone know the best way to remove/hide a number of very superficial scratches in the dark grey metallic paintwork.
          Is it a hire car?
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

bodyshop/accident repair center. Make sure they know that it's NOT an insurance job and you'll get a reasonable quote.
            Recently got a huge scrape taken out of my wifes car, cost £150 including a complete car valet and the panel looks brand new.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

As mentioned, try a bit of T-Cut first.

If that doesn't work, contact your local Chips Away franchisee.

I used my local one a couple of times and he was excellent - he covered up the scratches and you couldn't see his work as it was well blended in with the original (metallic) paintwork.

Word of caution, the quality of franchisees can vary so do a search on some motoring forums to see if yours comes recommended.

Comment

As you are selling it, if the scatch has gone to the white undercoat then use a felt-tip pen and then a wipe over with a cloth. It covers the scratch better than paint but it only lasts a few days.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  As you are selling it, if the scatch has gone to the white undercoat then use a felt-tip pen and then a wipe over with a cloth. It covers the scratch better than paint but it only lasts a few days.
                  Nice advice Paddy, very "nice"

Comment

Just to be a pedant I would not advice T-Cut but depends on the car. If it is a quality car, newish with a deep colour and metallic I would avoid it like the plague. T-Cut is nothing more than a very(!) abrasive polish. Yes it may take the scratch and get the scratch out but it will also buff the area around it and if you have the afore mentioned car you are going to be left with swirls which show up in sunlight and close inspection and look bloody awful.

I personally would get a shop to do it to us a buffer if you want it completely out. If not start with a very smooth polish and go up until it's gone rather than go for the most abrasive finish first.

If its a banger with 80k on the clock then I guess T-Cut it...
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X