• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Equipment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equipment

Can i purchase a laptop and claim on it under my umbrella company?

Mystic Doris says...

Are you not on speaking terms with your umbrella? Perhaps they should be your first port of call.

Comment

Be VERY careful what you claim under the Umbrella....it is not the same as having your own LTD.
      I have heard of Umbrella's that will even claim for a "company office laptop" even without receipt. as a nessessary office expense.....Keep well away from such insentives

Comment

Originally posted by el duder
        Can i purchase a laptop and claim on it under my umbrella company?
        When I spoke with Giant a year or so back, they told me that no capital purchases could be claimed under the umbrella scheme. This was one of the biggest reasons I chose to start my own Ltd Co.

Umbrellas are great for ease of use and payment. They aren't very good at personal tax efficiency so you'll usually end up with a low 60%-ish return.

Comment

why?

Originally posted by Phoenix
          Be VERY careful what you claim under the Umbrella....it is not the same as having your own LTD.
          I have heard of Umbrella's that will even claim for a "company office laptop" even without receipt. as a nessessary office expense.....Keep well away from such insentives
          WHY?

Comment

Originally posted by el duder
            WHY?
            Expenses claims must be wholly and exclusively for the job. If you do not need it then it is not a valid expense.

Further some Brolly's use expenses as a way of increasing your return, some even say they have a dispensation from the tax authorities. So what? They might you do not and you may need to show that the expense was incurred in the event the HMRC query it.

Comment

Help

my umbrella have replied with this...

'Its not really worth doing anymore since the budget changed in 2004.
              Sorry I couldn't be of more help'

personally this is tulip. im claiming on very low mileage to get the bus to work, so a laptop MUST be worth claiming for?!?!

Comment

Naturally, but that sort of claim is allowed only if it is wholly and exclusively for the job.

Another good reason why running your own Ltd is advantageous to using an umbrella.

Comment

I just bought a PC to use at home in the UK for connecting to the company server in France. The PC is in my office at home, so occasionally it will no doubt be used for non-work activity, but so is my PC at work. I did genuinely buy the PC purely so that I can work from home. Is that likely to make any difference?

n.b. I already sent the receipt in with my other expenses and haven't heard anything from my umbrella. I'm really not comfortable with the idea that umbrellas are giving out advice without any comeback on themselves at all if the tax people disagree at a later date. Does this apply to accountants as well??

Comment

lol, get a Ltd.

<smug />

Comment

Working...
                    X