• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Class

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Class

I have a 90 mnute round train journey every day. I've been using a standard class season ticket up to now which works out at £13 per working day & the train is always packed though I normally manage to get an aisle seat. First class equivalent is £32 per working day. Is it really worth paying £20 quid extra a day? Do any of you bother with first class? Don't know by how much it would improve my quality of life. The train is a HST not a cattle truck so it's proper 1st class, not just the usual seats with antimocassers.

It depends on your route.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      It depends on your route.
      WSM to Swindon

Comment

In my experience it is pure luck. I have had pleasant cattle class trips even sitting next to strangers in busy carrieages, nice hum going on, people watching and so on but had some effin nightmares as well.

You don't mention how you rate your journey, is it ok or does it drive you nuts and you arrive at work a shuddering wreck? Would it improve your day if you travelled first?

I guess you are claiming this so it isn't £20 extra out of your pocket a day either really is it?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I should have thought the horror of arriving in Swindon would cause any discomfort on the actual journey to pale into insignificance.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I should have thought the horror of arriving in Swindon would cause any discomfort on the actual journey to pale into insignificance.
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Yes, it's worth it - it's the difference between seat and no seat & standing for 25-30 mins smelling armpits for me.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

It's a business expense, seperates you from the riff raff, is usually quieter, usually has a chance of a seat without reservation, a seat with a guaranteed plug and you get better treatment like a nice drink etc. after a hard days work and possibly a small meal or snack if it's anything like I remember.

or you could suffer cattle class and all the glorious smells/noise that goes with it and save £100 quid a week

the question really is what's more important to you?
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Now you know the depth of my pain!

Comment

Ditto with the doggie

And I'm starting a 4 month extension today.

But at least its sunny in Swindon today
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X