• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BA Unions determined to destoy their members' jobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BA Unions determined to destoy their members' jobs

BBC News - British Airways strike dates announced

There they go again. Bloody trade unions leading their members along a path to guaranteed redundancy. Besides the fact that I have 11 rugby players coming from around the world to Amsterdam via London on 22 and 23 may for a major tournament, so BA are likely to piss me and them off somewhat (including 6 US Marines who may not take kindly to hanging around at Heathrow getting bored) this just defeats logic. BA are having a hard time just like any airline, because there’s a recession going on. So the union’s tactic is to take away a bit more revenue in the hope of gaining pay rises and keeping jobs.

Is it me? I’ve grown up with family businesses where you basically get paid whatever’s left after all the creditors have been paid. Sometimes that’s a lot, sometimes it’s bugger all, but if you refuse to serve customers you know for certain that before long you’ll end up living under a bridge. What kind of logic do union leaders apply in hitting their employers like this?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    What kind of logic do union leaders apply in hitting their employers like this?
    This "justifies" cushy union jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      This "justifies" cushy union jobs.
      It doesn’t justify anything. In a business, you can have fights with each other. Employees might complain and might even take ‘alternative’ industrial action like refusal to follow administrative procedures or ignoring management edicts, but NEVER let the customer suffer; that’s a surefire recipe for bankruptcy. Any business must be adept at doing the swan act; all grace and beauty above the surface while the turbulence and flapping about goes on out of view.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

but NEVER let the customer suffer
        From unions point of view if they don't cause actual damage to company in terms of lost sales (which inevitably means customers will suffer), then it's a waste of their unpaid time.

Personally I think BA needs to deal with this problem once and for all - if unions don't agree then liquidate the company: sell airplanes, landing/takeoff slots (very valuable), brand name and fire 100% staff - they can get new jobs in a possibly new companies that may form or maybe they'll never get these jobs again.

Comment

...including 6 US Marines who may not take kindly to hanging around at Heathrow getting bored...
          So what are they going to do, break out the semi automatics?

Semper Fi...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

You never let the customer suffer as long as you are getting a decent amount of what the customer is paying. If your pay or conditions or safety aren't up to scratch then there's very little incentive.
            also I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some days ago.

Comment

BBC News - British Airways strike dates announced
              Is it me? I’ve grown up with family businesses where you basically get paid whatever’s left after all the creditors have been paid. Sometimes that’s a lot, sometimes it’s bugger all, but if you refuse to serve customers you know for certain that before long you’ll end up living under a bridge. What kind of logic do union leaders apply in hitting their employers like this?
              I agree with this ... then I remember that we're talking about Willie Walsh, which makes me give my undying support to everyone who suffers beneath him. The man is a twunt and has a face you could all day without getting bored.
              Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Working...
              X