• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So who is PM now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So who is PM now?

The UK system is that we cannot ever have 'no PM' as I understand it. So is Brown now going to be PM while not the Labour leader? He is remaining as MP? Does he remain PM now until a government is formed?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The UK system is that we cannot ever have 'no PM' as I understand it. So is Brown now going to be PM while not the Labour leader? He is remaining as MP? Does he remain PM now until a government is formed?
    I think the answer is - Yes - Yes & Yes

Comment

I suggest reading what he actually said.

He didn't say he was stepping down.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post

(BBC) Gordon Brown has said he is stepping down as Labour Party leader - as his party opens formal talks with the Lib Dems about forming a government.
        Hmm.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The point is that he said he will step down at some point in the future - once the Labour party has nominated a suitable replacement.

He hasn't annoucned his resignation at all - just his willingness to resign at some point in the next few months.

Comment

Hmm.

Comment

As a band from the hit parade once sang:

"...meet the new boss, same as the old boss..."

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

He remains leader of the Labour Party until they elect a new one. He remains Prime Minister until he tenders his resignation to The Queen on the basis that he cannot form a government, which will probably happen sooner than the leadership election.

In the event that he finds himself able to form a coalition government with help from the LibDems and the other minority parties, and that coalition accepts him as its leader, then he continues as Prime Minister until the leadership election, at which point he resigns and The Queen appoints the leader of the coalition government as Prime Minister, which would presumably be the new leader of the Labour Party, assuming that person was acceptable to the coalition.

If a coalition govenment of which Labour is the largest component nonetheless appoints somebody else as its leader - say, Nick Clegg or Caroline Lucas - then he resigns as Prime Minister, while remaining leader of the Labour Party for a while longer, and The Queen appoints the leader of the coalition as Prime Minister.

Simple really
                Last edited by NickFitz; 10 May 2010, 17:41.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post

I therefore intend to ask the Labour Party to set in train the processes needed for its own leadership election.

"I would hope that it would be completed in time for the new leader to be in post by the time of the Labour Party conference.
                  And when is the Labour Party conference?

Oh, that'll be next September, just like it normally is.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    And when is the Labour Party conference?

Oh, that'll be next September, just like it normally is.

Comment

Working...
                    X