• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dividends above higher rate of tax threshold.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dividends above higher rate of tax threshold.

I need a rough guide as to how much tax I'm going to pay next year.

Tax due = (Dividends taken above higher rate tax threshold) * X

What is X? 0.25, 0.3?

TVM
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Ask in accounting and you might get a sensible answer

hth
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

X = Amount Earned
      Y = Rate of Tax
      Z = Declared Percentage

I recommend you set z = 0

So therefore

tax = x*y*z

Simples
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
        Ask in accounting and you might get a sensible answer

hth
        Need a fast answer, I can get a sensible answer from my accountant tomorrow...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Need a fast answer, I can get a sensible answer from my accountant tomorrow...
          Ok HM Revenue & Customs: Home Page

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
            Hmm fast?

Anyway, the search seems to be working so i found it in Accounting: x = 25% apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Hmm fast?

Anyway, the search seems to be working so i found it in Accounting: x = 25% apparently.
              What is it if you go over 150K?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                What is it if you go over 150K?
                It gets complicated...

However, there's a very slim chance of me hitting that this year - expecting to get canned in August, if not before and in a good year I'm well below.

Comment

IIRC it's 32.5%

Due to a weird interaction between the 40% tax band and the 10% tax credit on dividends

Comment

Try our dividend tax calculator. We made the higher rate band changed to it a while ago and it *should* be working correctly.

Comment

Working...
                    X