• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ever felt like strangling somebody?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever felt like strangling somebody?

There is an Indian permie on the project I'm working on whose sole purpose appears to be to ambush me in meetings and disagree with everything i say. Fair enough, most of the time I get my point over but it's the way he does this. It always follows exactly the same pattern - I have my say then he pipes up and says "I don't think that will work...." - and when giving his reason he always starts with "...it is my considered opinion that <insert reason here>...." . Well, Mr Gupta; it's my considered opinion that you are giving me insomnia as I lie there at night thinking of violent things that I would like to do to you and I believe you need to be severely chastised!

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    There is an Indian permie on the project I'm working on whose sole purpose appears to be to ambush me in meetings and disagree with everything i say. Fair enough, most of the time I get my point over but it's the way he does this. It always follows exactly the same pattern - I have my say then he pipes up and says "I don't think that will work...." - and when giving his reason he always starts with "...it is my considered opinion that <insert reason here>...." . Well, Mr Gupta; it's my considered opinion that you are giving me insomnia as I lie there at night thinking of violent things that I would like to do to you and I believe you need to be severely chastised!

First take the Indian out it, it can inadvertenly make you look racist which I presume you're not. Second get rid of the anger it's business. He want to look good by undermining you so come up with a strategy to deal with it!

eg 1 If your asked to give your opinion at the meeting try deferring to him on a pretext that you're just formulating a solution and would a min or two to think it out and then rip him to shreds.

eg 2 If the agenda is pre-planned email your suggestions to him and ask for comments. Print emails out and take into the meeting to use if he contridicts himself by trying to undermine you.

HTH and remember it's business not personal.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

but if he says it will not work does he give reasons?

do those reasons stand up to scrutiny

I mean if you are trying to get something through and it will not work then maybe he has a point

other than that drop it on the risk register and continue/flag it with who ever needs to know.

just play the game and if you have the best hand and you play it well you will win

Comment

It's just the way that after I say something there is a silence followed by the words "it is my considered opinion..." that sticks in my craw. Yes, I often win the argument but this particular phrase I am beginning to find rather irksome!

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
          Bedwetter. Grow some balls.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by marillionfan View Post
            it's my considered opinion bedwetter. Grow some balls.
            ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Bedwetter. Grow some balls.
              I think this is the first bedwetter sockie.

As an aside I was speaking to a friend who got sacked from a gig for calling someone a pakistani gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                I think this is the first bedwetter sockie.

As an aside I was speaking to a friend who got sacked from a gig for calling someone a pakistani gnome.
                Calling someone a gnome could be construed as offensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Calling someone a gnome could be construed as offensive.

The gnome never complained, it was someone who overheard.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    The gnome never complained, it was someone who overheard.
                    Bloody "do-gooders"!

Comment

Working...
                    X