PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Summer Meet-up!

Churchill
11th May 2010, 12:49
I'll start the thread.

Anyone got ideas for dates and venue?

Drewster
11th May 2010, 15:32
I'll start the thread.

Anyone got ideas for dates and venue?

Somewhen between July and September
and errrrrr Manchester

HTH

PS - I have only ever been to real dog rough areas of Manchester and I wouldn't feel safe going to drink in the Pubs I saw there..... even if "backed up" by a 6'8" Ginger Ninja.......

I am not suggesting that that sums up Manchester... its just that I've only been there to buy Cheap Handbags for sale in MrsDs Hat Shop........

original PM
11th May 2010, 16:13
there are a few decent places in Manchester to go for a few bevvies but they seem to be spread out a bit.

why not try Knutsford, Alderly Edge, Wilmslow?

or even Chester or Liverpool ........

and try for early summer e.g. June as i keep missing these can't wait to meet you all.....

I think?? :confused:

northernladuk
11th May 2010, 16:13
Private booth, Pancea on a Saturday night. As long as it doesn't come to £150 a head we can claim it back. Sorted!!

northernladuk
11th May 2010, 16:15
there are a few decent places in Manchester to go for a few bevvies but they seem to be spread out a bit.

and try for early summer e.g. June as i keep missing these can't wait to meet you all.....

Erm, you are complaining that place in Manchester are spread out a bit and then you suggest area outside Manchester to go for a drink??? WTF??? You totally lost it or something?? How more spread out can Manchester be compared to Liverpool, Chester and Wilmslow... Jesus.

Churchill
11th May 2010, 16:46
Somewhen between July and September
and errrrrr Manchester

HTH

PS - I have only ever been to real dog rough areas of Manchester and I wouldn't feel safe going to drink in the Pubs I saw there..... even if "backed up" by a 6'8" Ginger Ninja.......

I am not suggesting that that sums up Manchester... its just that I've only been there to buy Cheap Handbags for sale in MrsDs Hat Shop........

I'll try again!

Any ideas for specific dates and venues?

Drewster, I swear, I'll f**kin' lamp you! :fight:

original PM
11th May 2010, 16:49
Erm, you are complaining that place in Manchester are spread out a bit and then you suggest area outside Manchester to go for a drink??? WTF??? You totally lost it or something?? How more spread out can Manchester be compared to Liverpool, Chester and Wilmslow... Jesus.

woooah chill the feck out dude - I was just dropping suggestions!

ok but lets be specific

Friday June 18th

Bloo bar in Northern Quarter

MarillionFan
11th May 2010, 17:48
I may be up as well.

Do I need a whippet, flat cap and a massive chip on my shoulder to come along?

Drewster
11th May 2010, 18:13
I'll try again!

Any ideas for specific dates and venues?

Drewster, I swear, I'll f**kin' lamp you! :fight:

In that case all I can suggest is........ See you next Tuesday! :wink

northernladuk
12th May 2010, 01:24

ok but lets be specific

Friday June 18th

Good location, will get effin busy late evenin onwayds though

Churchill
12th May 2010, 06:31
I may be up as well.

Do I need a whippet, flat cap and a massive chip on my shoulder to come along?

No mate, you can leave those at home. You might need a note from your mother though as we don't usually accept bedwetters!

Churchill
12th May 2010, 06:32

ok but lets be specific

Friday June 18th

oPM - good start.

Drewster - you know exactly what I meant! :laugh

chef
12th May 2010, 07:24
If you can make it Sat 19th June I'll be there, I fly in at 10am and am back closing down the house before I depart for Glastonbury and then leave Manchester for good.. :frown

Bluu bar in the Northern quarter sounds good to me

Churchill
12th May 2010, 08:05
If you can make it Sat 19th June I'll be there, I fly in at 10am and am back closing down the house before I depart for Glastonbury and then leave Manchester for good.. :frown

Hmmmm, a Saturday Piss-Up... You know something, that just might work...

FiveTimes
12th May 2010, 08:07
Hmmmm, a Saturday Piss-Up... You know something that just might work...

and could get very messy :D

chef
12th May 2010, 08:33
well it would be good to make it to atleast 1 northern meetup before I depart for good

If messy is what you want then I'd suggest we make a slight detour to Bar Fringe at some point and ask the barmaid for some "Flash" while admiring the decor of a Buffy Vampire Slayer full sized cutout, a Harley Davidson and numerous cuckoo clocks bolted to the walls while sharing the bar with the 80yr old gurners drinking flash, the large groups of bikers and the suit wearing lawyers.. a very odd bar

Churchill
12th May 2010, 09:11
well it would be good to make it to atleast 1 northern meetup before I depart for good

If messy is what you want then I'd suggest we make a slight detour to Bar Fringe at some point and ask the barmaid for some "Flash" while admiring the decor of a Buffy Vampire Slayer full sized cutout, a Harley Davidson and numerous cuckoo clocks bolted to the walls while sharing the bar with the 80yr old gurners drinking flash, the large groups of bikers and the suit wearing lawyers.. a very odd bar

Sounds interesting.

original PM
12th May 2010, 09:24
saturday hmmm

well I'm game

would we do a bit of a leo sayer?

also Friday is England - Algeria so all pubs would be choc-a-bloc with drunken people being 'patriotic'

cailin maith
12th May 2010, 15:59

ok but lets be specific

Friday June 18th

I quite like Bluu - I like the Bay Horse and Troff too... June 18th, fine by us :D

Might be a good oppertunity to try out Black Dog Ballroom which I hear is good, but I've not been yet.

stek
12th May 2010, 17:09
Peveril of the Peak!

And what's the other? The Briton's Protection, fave haunts of mine during my stint at Railtrack.

Lord Salisbury to near Oxford Road Railway Station, didn't Turing hang about around there? Obviously before he went off down Canal Street....

DaveB
12th May 2010, 19:24
Damn, a meet I might actually be able to get to!

Me and MrsB may be along, more likely if it's on a Saturday.

Churchill
13th May 2010, 06:19
Damn, a meet I might actually be able to get to!

Me and MrsB may be along, more likely if it's on a Saturday.

A Saturday sounds good, wonder if a certain Guinea Pig and her other half will turn up...

DaveB
13th May 2010, 07:54
A Saturday sounds good, wonder if a certain Guinea Pig and her other half will turn up...

If you can come up with a cocktail involving Vodka and Alfalfa I'm pretty sure it would be guarenteed :D

cailin maith
13th May 2010, 09:22
Peveril of the Peak!

And what's the other? The Briton's Protection, fave haunts of mine during my stint at Railtrack.

Lord Salisbury to near Oxford Road Railway Station, didn't Turing hang about around there? Obviously before he went off down Canal Street....

The Pev is closed now - has been for a few months.

Churchill
13th May 2010, 09:34

I liked that pub! :tumble:

cailin maith
13th May 2010, 09:38

It was a really stinky pub though :sick

Churchill
13th May 2010, 09:46

Bloody peasants! They're revolting!

DaveB
13th May 2010, 09:58

Thats's why he liked it. You know what dogs are like for rolling in crap :p

cailin maith
13th May 2010, 10:06
Thats's why he liked it. You know what dogs are like for rolling in crap :p

:laugh

stek
13th May 2010, 10:09
We used to have run round the back streets from Rail House, Piccadilly to Victoria Station, round Dale Street. Remember Ma Megs or something, Hogs Head and once ended up in one right outside Strangeways Prison Doors.

Best one was the Friday afternoon early finish (not every Friday obviously!) from Vic to Liverpool Lime Street, stopping at every station, pint or short in the nearest pub to said station, onto next train out all the way to Liverpool then club. Only did it once, 13 stops I think, didn't get to Pool till gone midnight. Some stations handily had a 'Station Hotel' nearby, some didn't, fair old trek!

Happy days...

Churchill
17th May 2010, 06:42

Noticed that the Pev is up for sale but was in factopen on Sunday...:wink

chef
17th May 2010, 13:14
Is the Temple of Convenience (http://manchesterbars.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-temple/) still open? I like that place, although the toilets remind me of those shown in Trainspotting

Pogle
17th May 2010, 13:51
If you can come up with a cocktail involving Vodka and Alfalfa I'm pretty sure it would be guarenteed :D

:wave:

Carrot juice will suffice :D

cailin maith
17th May 2010, 14:09
Is the Temple of Convenience (http://manchesterbars.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-temple/) still open? I like that place, although the toilets remind me of those shown in Trainspotting

Yep, still open - still minging!

Churchill
17th May 2010, 14:29
Yep, still open - still minging!

Do you know any decent pubs...? :laugh

Pogle
19th May 2010, 12:59

see Churchie I WAS right :banana:

Churchill
19th May 2010, 13:58

Yep.

Had a text from RC, he's been banned from the forum but he'll be at the drinkies.

chef
19th May 2010, 14:15

right about what? me being able to make it on the saturday? that I'm closing down my place? Im off to Glasto? or that Bluu bar is good

Churchill
19th May 2010, 15:13
right about what? me being able to make it on the saturday? that I'm closing down my place? Im off to Glasto? or that Bluu bar is good

I thought it was the 26th when you were over. Pogle said 19th. I was wrong.

cailin maith
19th May 2010, 15:20
So are we deffo on for 19th? :D

original PM
19th May 2010, 15:25
works for me...

who is RC?

chef
19th May 2010, 15:35
So are we deffo on for 19th? :D

19th sounds good to me..

26th im in the uk but hopefully in a non muddy field near Glastonbury

Churchill
19th May 2010, 15:51
works for me...

who is RC?

Richard Cranium

original PM
19th May 2010, 15:54
oh yes of course

why did he get banned

?????

Churchill
19th May 2010, 15:57
oh yes of course

why did he get banned

?????

No idea. Not really asked him. No doubt we'll find out on the 19th.

I just need to get hold of EternalOptimist now...

original PM
19th May 2010, 16:47
great

EO and his stories are sadly missed

:frown

cojak
23rd May 2010, 10:02
Yep.

Had a text from RC, he's been banned from the forum but he'll be at the drinkies.

RC hasn't been banned, he's still a super tramp!

He's playing elsewhere I guess...

Bunk
23rd May 2010, 22:41
RC went a long while without a contract and then got one, much to everyone's delight, so I imagine he's concentrating on keeping himself in work at the moment and not regaling us with his tales. A shame actually because I miss him and his alter-egos. I think the closure of TPD may also have had something to do with his extended hiatus.

Edit: Should probably mention that I won't be at the Manchester meet up, but still hope RC returns.

Wilmslow
31st May 2010, 12:04

Wilmslow is good for me!!

There is a cracking pub called the Boddington and Dragon, does English and Thai food - could be a good venue......

original PM
1st June 2010, 11:33
well I think it will be in Manchester - although nothing firm other than the date of the 19th has been agreed.

anyone any plans on when/where to start?

Churchill
1st June 2010, 15:08
well I think it will be in Manchester - although nothing firm other than the date of the 19th has been agreed.

anyone any plans on when/where to start?

Well, the past two meet-ups have started at "The Waterhouse" a Whetherspoons pub opposite the town hall...

chef
9th June 2010, 05:48
Well, the past two meet-ups have started at "The Waterhouse" a Whetherspoons pub opposite the town hall...

I know it well, sounds good for me, so it's Saturday 19th at 'The Waterhouse', what time?

Chef

cailin maith
14th June 2010, 11:41
I know it well, sounds good for me, so it's Saturday 19th at 'The Waterhouse', what time?

Chef

Just to confirm - The Waterhouse on Saturday at 7-7.30pm -ish.

See you there whoever can make it.

chef
14th June 2010, 11:52
Just to confirm - The Waterhouse on Saturday at 7-7.30pm -ish.

See you there whoever can make it.

Ahh a pint of real ale.. can't wait :yay:

DaveB
15th June 2010, 11:30
Looks like MrsB and I will be along.

Planning on staying at the Ibis hotel on the corner of Charles Street and Princess Street on Saturday night. Any ideas how far it is to the pub from there?

cailin maith
15th June 2010, 11:50
Looks like MrsB and I will be along.

Planning on staying at the Ibis hotel on the corner of Charles Street and Princess Street on Saturday night. Any ideas how far it is to the pub from there?

Only about 10 mins :)

When you come out of the hotel head right up princess street - over Whitworth St, keep on past Canal St - cross over Portland St, and just stay on that road - over Mosley St and you are almost there it's on the right hand side facing St Peters Sq.

It's a straight Road - you can't get lost... :smile

DaveB
15th June 2010, 12:32
Only about 10 mins :)

When you come out of the hotel head right up princess street - over Whitworth St, keep on past Canal St - cross over Portland St, and just stay on that road - over Mosley St and you are almost there it's on the right hand side facing St Peters Sq.

It's a straight Road - you can't get lost... :smile

Thankss CM, not been to Manc in a few years now. I remember that Princess St basically runs straight into the center but wasnt sure where the pub was in relation.

See you saturday :D

PS MrsB wants to meet Wilmslow :laugh

chef
15th June 2010, 12:34
just out of curiosity who is actually planning on coming or thinks there's a good chance they'll be there on Saturday?

quote and add your name to the list..

Chef
DaveB + 1
Cailin Maith
Churchill
Original PM (possible)
Pogle + 1
Richard Cranium
Stek?
Wilmslow?

Last Updated 17th June

DaveB
15th June 2010, 12:45
just out of curiosity who is actually planning on coming or thinks there's a good chance they'll be there on Saturday?

Chef

Me +1

original PM
15th June 2010, 12:50
50/50 chance for me

cailin maith
15th June 2010, 19:26

Chef
DaveB + 1
Cailin Maith
Churchill
Original PM (possible)
Pogle?
Richard Cranium
Stek?
Wilmslow?

EO can't make it :frown

Churchill
17th June 2010, 11:57
Pogle + 1

I believe.

Pogle
17th June 2010, 18:27
:o Sorry gang - babysitter malfunction.
And as I spend all week away in Swindon, I don't really want to bugger off and leave Mr P on his own on a Saturday night.

So have a good time and I'll see you down the Steam soon, Churchie :wave:

Wilmslow
18th June 2010, 06:32
Hi guys - May be able to pop in for a swift pint at around 10-ish.

I am doing my usual charity stint ending around 10, and off to Scotland seeing a relative on Sunday so cannot stay out late unfortunately.

chef
18th June 2010, 07:46
So the latest is

Chef
DaveB + 1
Cailin Maith
Churchill
Original PM (possible)
Richard Cranium
Stek?
Wilmslow (10pm ish for a quickie)

EO can't make it
Pogle + 1 (no can do, babysitting malfunction)

cailin maith
18th June 2010, 13:57
So the latest is

Chef
DaveB + 1
Cailin Maith
Churchill
Original PM (possible)
Richard Cranium
Stek?
Wilmslow (10pm ish for a quickie)

EO can't make it
Pogle + 1 (no can do, babysitting malfunction)

Shame about Mr Pogle - is Pogle still coming, not heard from her.

We'll be there :)

Spacecadet
18th June 2010, 13:59
Shame about Mr Pogle - is Pogle still coming, not heard from her.

Scroll up ;)

cailin maith
18th June 2010, 14:07
Arse :o

DaveB
18th June 2010, 15:23
:o Sorry gang - babysitter malfunction.
And as I spend all week away in Swindon, I don't really want to bugger off and leave Mr P on his own on a Saturday night.

So have a good time and I'll see you down the Steam soon, Churchie :wave:

Just get one of these (http://www.scot-petshop.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=428). Works a treat for our two :smokin

RichardCranium
20th June 2010, 15:32
Somewhere between the pub and the train home, I lost both my mobile phone and the Post-Its (on which was The Brilliant Idea we had).

But it is not surprising. I think I remember ordering a pint of that 7.7% Russian porter, but have no memory of anything after that until I woke with a start at 8 a.m. not knowing how I got home.

And I have a big hole in my trouser pocket.

So, Churchill, CM, DaveB and Mrs DaveB: I don't suppose by any chance you picked them up for me?

And did Wilmslow turn up? I cannot remember.

Richard.Cranium.Esq@googlemail.com

PS Don't tell admin I was here. It would make he/she/it glum.

PPS Blimey, this place looks different.

DaveB
20th June 2010, 20:02
Somewhere between the pub and the train home, I lost both my mobile phone and the Post-Its (on which was The Brilliant Idea we had).

But it is not surprising. I think I remember ordering a pint of that 7.7% Russian porter, but have no memory of anything after that until I woke with a start at 8 a.m. not knowing how I got home.

And I have a big hole in my trouser pocket.

So, Churchill, CM, DaveB and Mrs DaveB: I don't suppose by any chance you picked them up for me?

And did Wilmslow turn up? I cannot remember.

Richard.Cranium.Esq@googlemail.com

PS Don't tell admin I was here. It would make he/she/it glum.

PPS Blimey, this place looks different.

After drinking a pint of that porter I'm not surprised. It's a good job it was a straight line from the pub back to our hotel!

Didn't see any notes or a phone left behind. Last we saw was you disappearing out of the pub at a rate of knots muttering something about trains.

I have to admit I was horribly ill this morning, stomach rather than head, which I am blaming on the russian beer and possibly the kebab we picked up on the way back to the hotel.

Wore off in time for a Sunday Roast at the pub though :)

Wilmslow was a no show, as was Chef.

RichardCranium
20th June 2010, 21:38
A few mminutes ago, a taxi driver came out to meet me at the edge of Manchester, armed with my mobile phone.

He would not take any money from me for the time and trouble; he was genuinely happy to see it returned.

I can't imagine a London cabbie doing that.

But I have no recollection of taking a cab!

I'll return to my exile now...

Churchill
21st June 2010, 07:04
A few mminutes ago, a taxi driver came out to meet me at the edge of Manchester, armed with my mobile phone.

He would not take any money from me for the time and trouble; he was genuinely happy to see it returned.

I can't imagine a London cabbie doing that.

But I have no recollection of taking a cab!

I'll return to my exile now...

Glad you managed to get your phone and the "Master Plan/Random collection of post-its".

Nice to meet you again RC, and DaveB and Mrs B - a girly who really does know her beer.

CM has recovered sufficiently enough to kick me out of bed this morning to go to work!

Cheers chaps.

gricerboy
21st June 2010, 10:30
I might be able to make it if it's anytime afetr 1 July. Will be in Carnforth from 2 - 17 July so not far to pop down there & meet up with you all :talk:

cailin maith
22nd June 2010, 20:47
Oops - forgot to post in here to say, nice to see RC again & lovely to meet DaveB & Mrs B - such a lovely couple!! Hope to see ye again soon!!

Sorry we had to make an early exit but to be honest, I was a little scared of RC coming back from the bar with some of that Russian Porter for me aswell :sick :wink

DaveB
22nd June 2010, 21:02
Oops - forgot to post in here to say, nice to see RC again & lovely to meet DaveB & Mrs B - such a lovely couple!! Hope to see ye again soon!!

Sorry we had to make an early exit but to be honest, I was a little scared of RC coming back from the bar with some of that Russian Porter for me aswell :sick :wink

Frankly I think you made the right decision :sick :D

Pogle
27th June 2010, 10:00
After drinking.................

.................Wilmslow was a no show, as was Chef.

so let me get this straight - Chef instigated the meet-up and set the date as its the only day he could make it in Manchester - then didn't bother to turn up? - Class :laugh

Churchill
28th June 2010, 08:00
so let me get this straight - Chef instigated the meet-up and set the date as its the only day he could make it in Manchester - then didn't bother to turn up? - Class :laugh

I think he was worried that Wilmslow might turn up!