• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Special' relationship back on

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Special' relationship back on

Obama invites UK's Cameron to Washington

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama said on Tuesday he told new British Prime Minister David Cameron he remained committed to a "special relationship" between their countries and invited him to visit Washington this summer.

"The United States has no closer friend and ally than the United Kingdom, and I reiterated my deep and personal commitment to the special relationship between our two countries -- a bond that has endured for generations and across party lines, and that is essential to the security and prosperity of our two countries and the world," Obama said in a statement after calling Cameron to congratulate him.
    Hmm. Does he say that to all new elected leaders?

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Obama was elected directly to be leader of his country, Cameron wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Not directly perhaps, but IMO people do vote for party leaders here as well as for parties and policies. Especially as all 3 main parties turn to the centre ground. Although probably a significant core of people vote for a particular party regardless of its leader or policies.

Comment

Not directly perhaps, but IMO people do vote for party leaders here as well as for parties and policies.
        Bollox - most people vote for a party, not particular leader - there are some notable exceptions in history but UK politics aint one of them.

Comment

You need to go and do a bit of research in to how things work in the UK.

1. We have a parliamentary system, not a presidential one.

2. The PM is head of government and not head of State. These are separate entities in most countries, but not in the US.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Bollox - most people vote for a party, not particular leader - there are some notable exceptions in history but UK politics aint one of them.
            If people vote for a particular party why do you think politicians bother with expensive election campaigns? Part of it is policy and part is personality. 'Most' is a key word in your sentence, it's just a case identifying relative proportions of each, which probably varies election to election based on differences in personality and differences in policy. A large core of people probably vote for a fixed party and the rest float on personality and policy.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
              1. We have a parliamentary system, not a presidential one.

2. The PM is head of government and not head of State. These are separate entities in most countries, but not in the US.
              I am well aware of that, thank you.

Like I said Obama was directly elected to lead his country - Cameron will lead the country by proxy - people voted for Conservative party and he had to make a deal to actually get into #10. Pretty much anybody in his position would have gotten in - even Brown, compare this system with fight OBama had to put up with and it's clear they are totally incomparable.

Comment

If people vote for a particular party why do you think politicians bother with expensive election campaigns?
                There are maybe 10-15% swing vote that they need to get in UK and maybe 5% in the USA and that's what it is all about.

My experience with politics goes much deeper than you think

Comment

I am well aware of that, thank you.

Like I said Obama was directly elected to lead his country - Cameron will lead the country by proxy - people voted for Conservative party and he had to make a deal to actually get into #10. Pretty much anybody in his position would have gotten in - even Brown, compare this system with fight OBama had to put up with and it's clear they are totally incomparable.
                  Cameron, or any other Prime Minister is not our 'leader'. This is a monarchy.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                    Cameron, or any other Prime Minister is not our 'leader'. This is a monarchy.
                    I know that FFS, look at what TimberCub posted:

"
                    "

I exactly opposed his view that Cameron is a newly elected leader - he isn't elected like Obama to lead, it just so happens he is head of the party that people voted for.

Comment

Working...
                    X