• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the best & worst gig you ever had?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best & worst gig you ever had?

Best

This one. Hiring manager said to me, I don't care where you are & what you do as long as you deliver on time. Brilliant. Been working in my shop today and coding. Double bubble.

Worst

Car manufacturer in Norfolk with a penchant for hiring and firing. Ten years ago now, but got in to two seperate punch ups over a three month period which landed me up with my CUK meme and an offer of an extension!!! Norfolk, inbred muppets at the best of time!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

As Sophocles said, count no contract best until it's finished.

& what's all this "gig" business? Can we all stop pretending we're Miley Cyrus and talk like grown ups?

Comment

Best - a job at a co where client said "whatever works for you Zip, I want you to be happy here", and meant it. (I wanted flexible hours and WFH some of the time).

Worst - government. I'm just not PC enough.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Best:

Working in Hamburg trying to teach German ops how to IPL an AS400, hotel paid for, free flight every week to anywhere in Europe, and enjoying the operators custom of bringing in Vodka each night to be drunk ice cold with apple juice and yet more ice, until people started to pass out. 3 month gig got extended to 9 months... highlight was buying a £30K BMW for cash.

Worst?

Never had a bad contract...its the permie positions that stink JP Morgan and their pathetic management being the worst wanting blood out of a stone and then some, as one manager told me "a child could do your job".....he's probably right but a spasticated rabbit could do his ....they certainly know how to motivate staff.
        Tyrell: "More human than human" is our motto.

Comment

Worst: Nationwide in Swindon.. Everything about it was awful, the company, the PMs, Swindon, the commute there and back. I could go on...

Best: Doing online check in system for BAA. Good people, interesting work & it didn't involve Swindon.

Comment

I had the odd situation where my best and worst gigs were in the same place, I even sat at the same desk.

The first was with the MoD working for the DCSA, good people, interesting work, great money.

The second was with the private outsource consortium that took over, some good people but some bad, boring as hell with tulip money (40% of the first).
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Best: Local contract 10 minutes from home which lasted years.

Worst: Hmm. I disliked one place so didn't renew, but later returned and found it crap again and didn't renew again. Not been back since.

Comment

Worst - large, well-known property management company in Holborn Rd. Some seriously unpleasant people.

Best - large, well-known assurance company in Euston at the time. Great people, interesting work, easy commute.

Both with the same name and both in the 1990s.

Comment

Best: Current one. Best rate I've ever had, plus all expenses flights, hotels paid for. Least amount of work I've ever had to do. WFH one (occasionally two) days a week.

Worst: Current one. The dutch work ethic does my flipping nut.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    As Sophocles said, count no contract best until it's finished.

& what's all this "gig" business? Can we all stop pretending we're Miley Cyrus and talk like grown ups?
                    When you work as a contractor among Permie's you are always on stage.

HTH
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X