• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do with a HMRC Cheque to a Closed Company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with a HMRC Cheque to a Closed Company?

I stopped contracting and closed my company down several months ago, but have just received a surprise £21.74 "interest repayment" cheque for the last FY from HMRC.

Since the cheque is made out to my company which no longer exists, is there anything useful I can actually do with this cheque (aside from use it as a bookmark, toilet paper etc.)?

Originally posted by Kess View Post
    I stopped contracting and closed my company down several months ago, but have just received a surprise £21.74 "interest repayment" cheque for the last FY from HMRC.

Since the cheque is made out to my company which no longer exists, is there anything useful I can actually do with this cheque (aside from use it as a bookmark, toilet paper etc.)?
    Ring them and ask them to make it out to you personally.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
      Ring them and ask them to make it out to you personally.
      Similar situation so I posted back the cheque with a covering letter explaining the situation and that I was the sole shareholder and they sent me back a personal cheque. Simples.

Comment

Thanks - it sounds easier than I expected. I'd assumed it would be close to impossible to get HMRC to pay money they owed to a company to instead pay the money to a person.

Comment

Working...
        X