• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Train Journey This Morning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Train Journey This Morning

Boarded the train this morning only to realise that it had a reverse carriage configuration so found myself in coach D, the quiet carriage, instead of coach A. Well, I didn't realise this at the time and I had just put my Walkman on & was privately rocking out to ELO when I had a tap on the shoulder and was informed by my neighbour (who was wearing spandex pants, hi vis jacket and STILL had his bike helmet on) that this was the quiet carriage and could I kindly turn my appliance off as they are not permitted. Well, I have never been surrounded by such a bunch of intolerant smug little Nazis in all my life. Even the bloody clatter of my laptop keyboard elicited a reaction from one of them! I swear they were all trying to kneecap me with their bloody fold up bikes as we filed off the carriage at Swindon.

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    Boarded the train this morning only to realise that it had a reverse carriage configuration so found myself in coach D, the quiet carriage, instead of coach A. Well, I didn't realise this at the time and I had just put my Walkman on & was privately rocking out to ELO when I had a tap on the shoulder and was informed by my neighbour (who was wearing spandex pants, hi vis jacket and STILL had his bike helmet on) that this was the quiet carriage and could I kindly turn my appliance off as they are not permitted. Well, I have never been surrounded by such a bunch of intolerant smug little Nazis in all my life. Even the bloody clatter of my laptop keyboard elicited a reaction from one of them! I swear they were all trying to kneecap me with their bloody fold up bikes as we filed off the carriage at Swindon.

Competion too much ?
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

How exactly would that work?
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        I chewed the legs off a chav in the Quiet Carriage when his portable telephonic appliance annoyed me.
        And rightly so!

It is after all the QUIET carriage.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          I chewed the legs off a chav in the Quiet Carriage when his portable telephonic appliance annoyed me.
          Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          And rightly so!

It is after all the QUIET carriage.
          I hope you told him to stop screaming so loudly.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Too bad they missed
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

So which bit of the word "quiet" are you too stupid to understand?

I regularly sit in the quiet carriage because I want a bit of peace and quiet - away from idiots talking on mobile phones and idiots who think everyone else wants to listen to what they are listening to. One carriage out of a whole train...yet everyone else is wrong and you are right. Nice.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                So which bit of the word "quiet" are you too stupid to understand?

I regularly sit in the quiet carriage because I want a bit of peace and quiet - away from idiots talking on mobile phones and idiots who think everyone else wants to listen to what they are listening to. One carriage out of a whole train...yet everyone else is wrong and you are right. Nice.
                Please do get off your high horse!! - the train was in reverse configuration & I didn't even realise I was in the quiet carriage. Once I found out that I was, I turned my Walkman off. I think people complaining about the sound of typing is well over the top though.

Comment

Please do get off your high horse!! - the train was in reverse configuration & I didn't even realise I was in the quiet carriage. Once I found out that I was, I turned my Walkman off. I think people complaining about the sound of typing is well over the top though.

Comment

Once I found out that I was, I turned my Walkman off. I think people complaining about the sound of typing is well over the top though.
                    different things can be irritating to different people but hammering at a keyboard in the quiet coach is v.annoying, on the flip side somebody wearing spandex pants can be rather vulgar

Comment

Working...
                    X