• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract of the day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract of the day

Unfortunately I wasn't able to apply because I don't meet the requirements, namely:

"YOU MUST PROVIDE YOUR OWN STEEL TOE CAP BOOTS."

And at £10ph I'm not too sure if I could afford ones soon enough...
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 18 September 2019, 16:50.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to apply because I don't meet the requirements, namely:

"YOU MUST PROVIDE YOUR OWN STEEL TOE CAP BOOTS."

And at £10ph I'm not too sure if I could afford ones soon enough...[/QUOTE]

Bobtastic!
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 18 September 2019, 16:50.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Been there mate.
      When I was an undergrad and needed some money over the long vac, I was looking for any work I could get. Didn't meet the requirements for most of them, then saw an advert for roadsweeper. "There's one I could do!" I thought, but the advert went on to say "must have experience and own boots" and I failed on both counts.
      Then I saw a job doing Excel and Access, which I had at least 4 hours experience of, and that turned out to my first of 12 years' worth of contracting.

Comment

Some years ago a friend of mine wrote the real-time software for a system that weighed freshly-slaughtered pigs. It seems that the unfortunate swine are killed, slung up by their hind feet onto an overhead conveyor, sliced open and eviscerated, and then pass over the sensor that determines the weight of what remains, before being conveyed to the place where they will become those nicely-packaged bits you find in Sainsbury's. They do a pig every three seconds or so.

The room containing the hardware on which he was commissioning the system was just after the sensor bit. Whenever he needed to enter or leave the room he had to wait as a carcass, still steaming from within, glided past and then dart through the gap between that and the next one.

Oddly, it didn't put him off pork: he used to take advantage of the onsite employees' shop to buy large, freshly-slaughtered joints at heavily discounted prices. However it put him off bacon. He reckoned that a freshly-slaughtered pig carcass smelt of bacon, which suggests that though one assumes that the distinct aroma of bacon arises from the curing process, this may not be the case

Comment

Working...
        X