• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

People who keep you on the line and then let you down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People who keep you on the line and then let you down

Next weekend I’ll be playing in the Amsterdam Rugby sevens/tens. One of the best rugby tournaments in the world where some top teams, some social teams and some in between will play. My team is in the tens for players over 35, and will be playing against the likes of Pacific Chiefs, which includes several recent NZ, Samoa and Fiji players.

2 months ago I had nearly 20 names of people who wanted to play. A month ago they confirmed they’d play, full of enthousiasm to play in this great tournament. Now only 4 are left. The rest call up with pathetic excuses like ‘visiting my in-laws’, ‘my wife won’t let me play’ and worst of all ‘I’m scared of those Samoans’. I have 6 players comking from the states to play, 4 from England, and now I’m struggling to find a few guys.

WTF is it with people? I’m the kind of bloke that will turn up if I tell you I’m coming, even if I turn up in a bloody wheelchair and have to swim across the sea to get there. Quite simply, if you have my word you have my deed. I f**king hate people who talk the talk but then won’t walk the walk.

Big bunch of woofty poofty losers.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Next weekend I’ll be playing in the Amsterdam Rugby sevens/tens. One of the best rugby tournaments in the world where some top teams, some social teams and some in between will play. My team is in the tens for players over 35, and will be playing against the likes of Pacific Chiefs, which includes several recent NZ, Samoa and Fiji players.

2 months ago I had nearly 20 names of people who wanted to play. A month ago they confirmed they’d play, full of enthousiasm to play in this great tournament. Now only 4 are left. The rest call up with pathetic excuses like ‘visiting my in-laws’, ‘my wife won’t let me play’ and worst of all ‘I’m scared of those Samoans’. I have 6 players comking from the states to play, 4 from England, and now I’m struggling to find a few guys.

WTF is it with people? I’m the kind of bloke that will turn up if I tell you I’m coming, even if I turn up in a bloody wheelchair and have to swim across the sea to get there. Quite simply, if you have my word you have my deed. I f**king hate people who talk the talk but then won’t walk the walk.

Big bunch of woofty poofty losers.
    Perhaps this in an email to the lot of them might get a few more out?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Perhaps this in an email to the lot of them might get a few more out?
      Have done that, but don't want to upset the few who ARE coming. have now e-mailed 3 other clubs that have good relations with ours.

Some people are going to get a piece of my mind at the next training session.

Comment

Seen similar across a range of hols, golf trips, footy etc. You will usually find a wife/long term woman/kids in the background. Now, they won't be so blatant as to ban the bloke from going (although some will) but it will be the subtle comments, digs and consequences from previous outings that are designed to make them feel guilty about the time/money involved and come to the decision that it isn't a great idea after all.
        Add to this a few who are no longer up for the requirements of lads on tour (especially rugby) and they will play the family card to duck out. Forget about anything said with beer in hand and other blokes about.
        Double all this for any bloke over 35 and not single.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
          Seen similar across a range of hols, golf trips, footy etc. You will usually find a wife/long term woman/kids in the background. Now, they won't be so blatant as to ban the bloke from going (although some will) but it will be the subtle comments, digs and consequences from previous outings that are designed to make them feel guilty about the time/money involved and come to the decision that it isn't a great idea after all.
          Add to this a few who are no longer up for the requirements of lads on tour (especially rugby) and they will play the family card to duck out. Forget about anything said with beer in hand and other blokes about.
          Double all this for any bloke over 35 and not single.
          True. Lady Tester’s not keen on it either as she says rugby’s just a bunch of big guys beating each other up on a pitch, to which I respond ‘yeah, so what.’ I was a rugby player when she met me, have been a rugby player since and have always made it clear that I never turn down any opportunity I get to play, so she lives with it. Some men need to emancipate themselves, the big girls’ blouses.

Comment

I agree it's damn annoying. Whenever I have a dinner party I overbook by 30% because I can bank on that many last-minute cancellations (admittedly, my cooking is appalling).

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              I agree it's damn annoying. Whenever I have a dinner party I overbook by 30% because I can bank on that many last-minute cancellations (admittedly, my cooking is appalling).
              If your cooking’s that bad they should turn up and bring some pizzas. Calling off at the last minute without a bloody good reason is bad manners, and in my books, the hallmark of an oik.

Comment

True. Lady Tester’s not keen on it either as she says rugby’s just a bunch of big guys beating each other up on a pitch, to which I respond ‘yeah, so what.’ I was a rugby player when she met me, have been a rugby player since and have always made it clear that I never turn down any opportunity I get to play, so she lives with it. Some men need to emancipate themselves, the big girls’ blouses.
                That's what makes it so good.

I remeber one of my first ever matches at Lansdowne Road being apalled at some fella getting kicked in the head in a ruck.. my Da said... "aragh - it's a friendly kick in the head" - well assuming it's NH teams it's friendly when it's SH, you can't trust them boyos and OS... I know you are reading this.... dirty saffa
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I hope it goes well anyway mate.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    That's what makes it so good.

I remeber one of my first ever matches at Lansdowne Road being apalled at some fella getting kicked in the head in a ruck.. my Da said... "aragh - it's a friendly kick in the head" - well assuming it's NH teams it's friendly when it's SH, you can't trust them boyos and OS... I know you are reading this.... dirty saffa
                    The best response to that was invented by the legendary Ireland second row Willie John McBride, who captained the Lions in SA in the 70s. Any Lion got any hassle at all would shout ‘99’ and every Lion was to punch the nearest SA player. JPR Williams sprinted 50 yards from full back and floored a SA second row with one punch.

Not a pretty sight, but a rugby team that has that kind of unity will always do well.

Comment

Working...
                    X