• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google admits personal data collection 'blunder'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google admits personal data collection 'blunder'

LinkyPinkySchmoo

Originally posted by Googlescum
    Google has admitted that for the past three years it has wrongly collected information people have sent over unencrypted wi-fi networks.

The issue came to light after German authorities asked to audit the data the company's Street View cars gathered as they took photos viewed on Google maps.
    Sites such as google, yahoo, bing have long be known to collect such data. The only issue is it got pointed out again.
    In America, the fed monitor all web traffic, emails, telephone calls in the interest of national security. Darpa were building a global information grid (not sure how far that project has come along) and the UK government at the time had similar initiatives.

<adjusts tin foil hat as it is itching a bit>

Gurn

AnotherLinkyPinkySchmoo

Originally posted by TimesOnline
    A massive government database holding details of every phone call, e-mail and time spent on the internet by the public is being planned as part of the fight against crime and terrorism. Internet service providers (ISPs) and telecoms companies would hand over the records to the Home Office under plans put forward by officials.
    Last edited by suityou01; 15 May 2010, 07:20. Reason: Found another linkypinkyschmoo
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Good job they don't monitor CUK.

Anyway, can't stop, I've got a PM from emmyfife asking me to change the templates again

Comment

In a blogpost Google said as soon as it became aware of the problem it grounded its Street View cars from collecting wi-fi information and segregated the data on its network.
      That doesn't tally with what they said here:

22nd April - Germany slams Google for mapping wireless hotspots

Google Germany said it had never been a secret that it was mapping WLANs and denied it was illegal, saying many companies already did this. “It’s not new, and we’re not the only ones doing it,” said spokesman Kay Oberbeck.
      Related news:

Germans face fines for leaving Wifi unsecured
      Last edited by Sysman; 15 May 2010, 11:33.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Good job they don't monitor CUK.
        Google does try to access my home systems, even though I'm on a completely different address from the one I used when running a webserver from home. The firewall blocks it, but why are they looking?

And a new arrival in my firewall logs today - Facebook is trying to access port 80. WTF are they doing there?

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          Google does try to access my home systems, even though I'm on a completely different address from the one I used when running a webserver from home. The firewall blocks it, but why are they looking?

And a new arrival in my firewall logs today - Facebook is trying to access port 80. WTF are they doing there?
          So facebook is crawling now?
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            So facebook is crawling now?
            Oops. My mistake.

Facebook is coming from port 80 and trying to connect to a non-privileged port. Unless it's something to do with Twitter, which I was logged into at the time...

I don't have a Facebook account.

Comment

Working...
            X