• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Step in to tackle yobs, says new Home Secretary Theresa May

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Step in to tackle yobs, says new Home Secretary Theresa May

In her first interview since her surprise appointment, Theresa May says she wants to create an atmosphere in which people feel able to stop gangs of youths blighting neighbourhoods. She suggests that more police would be on the beat – able to “help” citizens if confrontations threaten to become violent.

The Home Secretary tells The Daily Telegraph that her success in the post should be judged on whether “people feel safer in their own homes” and public faith in the police is restored.

More: Step in to tackle yobs, says new Home Secretary Theresa May - Telegraph

I think what she's trying to say is there will be more crime as cuts bite but no more police officers so sort it out yourself.

I'm guessing you'd feel more comfortable tackling youths with a Colt .45 by your side?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      I'm guessing you'd feel more comfortable tackling youths with a Colt .45 by your side?

Not at all - this is such a preposterous suggestion!

I'd prefer a few legal Glock 9mm with some extra backup in safe storage

Comment

I've stopped kids in vanadalistic behaviour occasionaly, but the problem is the law is against you.

If you lay a finger on them you could be up on a charge alternatively if they are carrying a knife
        you could end up dead, but this is how Labour wanted it apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          In her first interview since her ridiculous appointment, Theresa May says she wants to create an atmosphere in which people feel invincible as they are slaughtered by the gangs of youths blighting neighbourhoods. She suggests that more police would be on the beat – able to “help arrange the funerals of” citizens if confrontations threaten to become violent.
          Vote Tory, get fsck all. Go on, tell me you expected something different

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Vote Tory, get fsck all. Go on, tell me you expected something different
            Hey anything is better than the Labour disaster, decades of painfull debt repayment ...

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
              I've stopped kids in vanadalistic behaviour occasionaly, but the problem is the law is against you.

If you lay a finger on them you could be up on a charge alternatively if they are carrying a knife
              you could end up dead, but this is how Labour wanted it apparently.
              Don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail. The law isn't against you unless you break the law. It's not that "This is how Labour wanted it", it's that "This is how those opposed to Labour wanted you to think."

It's always been the case that unreasonable use of force could result in you being charged with a criminal offence, and it's always been the case that confronting somebody with a knife could leave you dead. What do you think a Tory government will do - send David Cameron out to stand between you and the knife, or legalise physical assault on the basis of suspicion?

Bear in mind that, if the law gives you the right to give somebody a clip round the ear when you object to their behaviour, it gives them the right to give you a clip round the ear when they object to yours.

Comment

Don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail. The law isn't against you unless you break the law. It's not that "This is how Labour wanted it", it's that "This is how those opposed to Labour wanted you to think."

It's always been the case that unreasonable use of force could result in you being charged with a criminal offence, and it's always been the case that confronting somebody with a knife could leave you dead. What do you think a Tory government will do - send David Cameron out to stand between you and the knife, or legalise physical assault on the basis of suspicion?

Bear in mind that, if the law gives you the right to give somebody a clip round the ear when you object to their behaviour, it gives them the right to give you a clip round the ear when they object to yours.
                I don't read the Daily Mail, apparently you do.

The law has never given you the right to assault others.

However, a citizen does have the right to make a citizen's arrest to stop illegal behavior.

I simply stopped some kids breaking up school property.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  I think what she's trying to say is there will be more crime as cuts bite but no more police officers so sort it out yourself.
                  WHS

Inner cities will become like a bad day in Beirut.

I'm seeing most European countries are gearing up for it by moving essential organisations out of city centres.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

The law isn't against you unless you break the law.
                    What good the law has got if you get stabbed or beat up by those yobs if you tell them off? Law gives no means of effective self defence - they've got the numbers, the aggression and chances are they already got criminal convictions but were let off with a slap on wrists.

Comment

Working...
                    X