• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working away from home - car insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working away from home - car insurance

When staying away from home during the week, do you inform your car insurance company?
    Still Invoicing

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    When staying away from home during the week, do you inform your car insurance company?
    Nearly all motor insurance policies have a 'normally parked' clause.

You're not normally parked at home at night any longer are you, so your car is not insured.

Driving without insurance is a very naughty thing to do.

Suggest you buy the appropriate insurance for your car usage.

HTH
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      so your car is not insured.

......ahem..internet forum facts, always accurate

OP you're still fine when it comes to legal 3rd party requirement.

Up to you if you tell them and pay the increased premium perhaps it's worth it for the peace of mind. I don't and I expect nor do most others.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        Nearly all motor insurance policies have a 'normally parked' clause.

You're not normally parked at home at night any longer are you, so your car is not insured.

Suggest you buy the appropriate insurance for your car usage.

HTH
        This is true. I got caught out on a contract in an area with lots of car thefts. I had to change insurers, but I also took the precaution of getting a banger whose loss I could afford.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Don't you mean "partly" true
          OR
          True in respect that you may not be covered to the full extent possible in your policy

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
            OR
            True in respect that you may not be covered to the full extent possible in your policy
            You sound like the kind of guy that will only believe playing silly beggars with the insurance will come round and bite you real hard by trying it. So I would recommend doing just that.

Report back with your findings, there's a good chap.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
              OR
              I actually got a proper bollocking from the girl at the insurance brokers for not telling them before I started that contract. The insurance company simply cancelled my policy and an alternative had to be found pronto.

One of the advantages of dealing with a decent broker is that this was all sorted out on my behalf.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I spoke to the insurer about this already....
                Have also been told the same thing from and a guy who works an expert witness in traffic / insurance cases.

...it's the same with an MoT. Yes your car is illegal to drive if you don't have one but if it's roadworthy you're still covered up the the legal requirement.

Regarding a full comprehensive policy not acurately reflecting the address the vehicle spends most of it's time. Yes of course the insurer can investigate and not pay out if it gets nicked. Would they check up effectively? Unlikely....am I prepared to take the risk? - absoloutely. Do many others take the same risk knowingly or not. Yes.

Comment

Working...
                X