• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Despite defeat in Lords, ministers 'press on' with ID cards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ministers say they will press ahead with plans to introduce ID cards, despite three defeats in the House of Lords on Monday evening.

Peers voted to block the scheme until its full costs were known. They also voted for more security provisions, and for more controls on who can access the data.

Conservative Baroness Noakes said the government had given "absolutely no information" about the scheme's start-up costs. "It was unprecedented that legislation with such major consequences should go forward without Parliament being able to scrutinise the financial impact."

However...

Simon Davies, one of the academics involved in the ID card scheme, said it was impossible to update the costs because the government was "changing the goal posts", including making it less secure.

He also complained there was a "culture of secrecy".
    So your ID card might not be secure, but the decisions behind it are. Still, if you've done nothing wrong, you've nothing to worry about.

But if you have done something wrong....you still have nothing to worry about!

Comment

The only financial aspect of relevance to those that the ID scheme is supposed to target this week (terrorists/benefit fraudsters/illegal immigrants/whatever) is how much it will cost to buy one at the local car boot sale.
      I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Does anyone else find it a bit bizarre when you're bank phones you up and states:

"We've been looking through your account and transactions........"

In this age of heightened security / fraud... depends which way you look at it... why are they allowed to do this without your permission... I don't remember signing a 'Open Forum' for my accounts?

Comment

Originally posted by Bumner
          Does anyone else find it a bit bizarre when you're bank phones you up and states:

"We've been looking through your account and transactions........"

In this age of heightened security / fraud... depends which way you look at it... why are they allowed to do this without your permission... I don't remember signing a 'Open Forum' for my accounts?
          I think we'd be surprised how many people have access to our most secure information.

There are many people at this very moment who could be browsing all your financial transactions, or your email records, or the internet pages that you have downloaded, or the traffic monitors that you have driven past.

And if they find one thing of even the remotest interest, they can pull out the lot and lay out the story of your life.

And then watch you.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            I think we'd be surprised how many people have access to our most secure information.

There are many people at this very moment who could be browsing all your financial transactions, or your email records, or the internet pages that you have downloaded, or the traffic monitors that you have driven past.

And if they find one thing of even the remotest interest, they can pull out the lot and lay out the story of your life.

And then watch you.

Wendigo! You have just paid your Mortgage....

Comment

Very true privateeye can make a living out of it between contracts. All you need is a DPA certificate, Credit Reference Licence and you have most of the info at your finger tips.

Comment

yes.... but... apparently it's 'easy' to do the intrusion and commit the acts.... the key is to cover your tracks......

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix
                  Wendigo! You have just paid your Mortgage....
                  Good, it cleared.

Er... can you tell me where my wife has been all day?

Comment

Good, it cleared.

Er... can you tell me where my wife has been all day?
                    With me you fool!

Comment

Working...
                    X