• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got a viral infection!! Cracking.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a viral infection!! Cracking.

Oh terrific. Been in bed since 8. Now had to get up!!!

Son has been I'll for a few days with a viral infection and I've picked it up. Seems to be quite catchy.

I'm sweating more than a blind lesbian in a fish factory.

Taken four migraine pills so far.

What's the thought on fevers. Wrap up warm and sweat it out or try and keep cool???

Regardless of the outcome and regardless of how I feel in a few hours I'm still going to clientco and still invoicing!!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Cracking line!

Shame you got the lurgy, some of them can last quite a while and be really tiring so see how you feel in the morning. I had flu a few weeks ago and could not even get out of bed in the morning. The parents-in-law where visiting too so I had every incentive to leave the house, I just could not do it!

Fingers crossed you feel up for it in the morning.

Comment

What's the thought on fevers. Wrap up warm and sweat it out or try and keep cool???
      Sweating it out can be dangerous and doesn't work. Raising your temperature can cause a febrile convulsion

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Sweating it out can be dangerous and doesn't work. Raising your temperature can cause a febrile convulsion
        Thanks for that!!

I'm lounging on the sofa keeping cool and drinking loads of tea!!! Gonna be a long night. :-(

Comment

A lot of people misinterpret the old saying "Feed a cold, starve a fever." If you have a cold, or something else caused by a virus, you should be going for bed rest (reclining on the chaise longue in your smoking jacket counts) and keeping yourself fed. If you have a bacterial disease, such as plague, you should avoid eating much other than broths to keep you hydrated and nourished. Note that both viral and bacterial infections can cause a heightened temperature, but the febrile effects of a bacterial infection are distinct from those caused by a viral infection, as far as the immune system is concerned.

FWIW, during the Great Influenza Pandemic attendant upon the closing stages of the First World War and continuing for a year or so after, many people who thought they had recovered from an infection and rose from their beds were killed by a resurgence of the virus. One of the US Government's most senior advisors during that crisis, upon finding himself stricken at the height of the pandemic, kept to his bed for a couple of weeks, because he had seen so many reports of people apparently recovering, returning to their normal business, and then being struck down in the prime of life a few days later. Although the initial infection with that strain of flu killed many in less than a day, there were also many who seemed to have conquered the disease only to die, within a day, a week or so later. Those who kept to their beds for a week or two after the apparent cessation of symptoms usually made a full recovery, and this was part of the advice the US Government gave to its citizens. In countries where this advice was not given, many people died as the result of such a relapse.

Get Well Soon <- manly

(Yes, I have just read a book about it.)
          Last edited by NickFitz; 17 May 2010, 02:51.

Comment

Swine flu

Comment

Rightio. I feel like death. :

Time to go and infect clientco

Comment

If you feel cold, wrap up warm. If you feel hot, then strip off a bit. I take paracetemol if I have a fever, as I find it more effective than ibuprofen. Drink plenty of water. Caffeine helps relieve symptoms as well. Don't OD on paracetemol, it will make you very unwell and may even kill you.

I find that when I've got a fever, if I'm hungry, or want to pee, that seems to translate into feeling more unwell.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Oh terrific. Been in bed since 8. Now had to get up!!!

Son has been I'll for a few days with a viral infection and I've picked it up. Seems to be quite catchy.

Taken four migraine pills so far.

Regardless of the outcome and regardless of how I feel in a few hours I'm still going to clientco and still invoicing!!
                  Bedwetter!

Comment

I was shooting infected and special infected in L4D 2 right until 00:21 tonight - should have stayed on for another minute!

Comment

Working...
                    X