• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan C

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan C

My semi hungover Monday morning bench thoughts are that the IT contract game is stuffed.

So, the brief is to come up with a new career that requires some formal training and provides me with a piece of paper at the end of some course or other that will hopefully keep the riffraff out and the money levels up.

Any ideas ?

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    My semi hungover Monday morning bench thoughts are that the IT contract game is stuffed.

So, the brief is to come up with a new career that requires some formal training and provides me with a piece of paper at the end of some course or other that will hopefully keep the riffraff out and the money levels up.
    Any ideas ?
    .NET!!!

You'll need a decent tan though...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      You'll need a decent tan though...

plan

Comment

Any ideas ?
        If it requires formal training, there'll be lots of other people doing it. Best find a niche. Use your contract money to buy an already trading business in a totally different field.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

The IT contract market isn't any more stuffed than anything else, but maybe in your niche. You can always get a permie job for a while to move over in a different niche. My impression is programmers are doing OK, but testers and PM's seem to be stuffed.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            The IT contract market isn't any more stuffed than anything else, but maybe in your niche. You can always get a permie job for a while to move over in a different niche. My impression is programmers are doing OK, but testers and PM's need to be stuffed.
            Shirley?

Comment

OK. It looks like it's back to Plan A then. I've had a shower and perked up a bit !

The problem with niches is that they involve travel to cash in and any new emerging niches will soon be bob low paid zones.

Comment

The problem with niches is that they involve travel to cash in and any new emerging niches will soon be bob low paid zones.
                The real problem here is your lack of winning attitude

Comment

OK. It looks like it's back to Plan A then. I've had a shower and perked up a bit !

If you become an expert in the niche area, call yourself a consultant. They will pay you to sign-off bob's work. Or like in my case, fly you out there put you in 5* hotels, provide drivers etc. For you to conduct workshops, training etc.

I think you are thinking like a permie, aiming too low. You don't need a Plan C, you need a new frame of mind.

HTH

P.S. I think I just agreed with atW, I need to lie down.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Any ideas ?
                    I'm going on a course that seriously keeps the riff raff out. It says on the web page the course is only open to certain occupations, and you have to provide documentary evidence.

You also need a Law Degree, so there's an idea for you: do the OU Law Degree, even the very first module provides a bit of paper that impresses clients no end and Law really is a piece of piss if you can program.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X