• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Never ever hire people Full Time!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never ever hire people Full Time!!!!

Shop manager has been off for a week with Bronchitis. She turned up this morning after a week off to meet me at the shop. She turned up coughing and spluttering and said she was still ill and had got another sick note for another week and needed to go home!

What's worse, both the two part timers I use are on holiday for the week.

Thats fine I said, if you're off though, I need to put you on Statutory Sick pay, it's £18 per day. Ok she said, it will be my salary minus £18.

No, it's just £18!!! Look of horror on here face. But I'm fulltime she said. That right, it's still only £18 per day after the first 3 days and actually I dont have to pay you for the first three!

I used to use 4 part timers, that way you always had cover and never had to pay holiday or sick. But, it was difficult to manage so moved to two (very part timers) and one full time on a higher salary and with paid holiday.

Thats her 10th sick day in the last twelve months, not including this week!!!

So Plan B is now closed for yet another week. Losing £100 per day!!!!

F**king permie mentality. Pisses me right off!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

I thought you'd sold the tat shop?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      I thought you'd sold the tat shop?
      Buyer fell through. Still stuck with the bloody thing until May next year. God I cannot wait to get rid of the bloody thing

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Losing £100 per day!!!!

I give you a week to restart normal operations or you'll go bust...

btw, retail hint - next time buy whole street!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

I give you a week to restart normal operations or you'll go bust...

btw, retail hint - next time buy whole street!
          Managed to get through most of the recession OK, but the last 3/4 months has been terrible.

The problem is, the change in the Dollar has seriously hit the cost of products in the shop. I've had price increases of 20-25% in the last year alone, and suppliers are passing those on to retailers. I cannot put my prices up by 20-25%! People are expecting you to drop them.

Also, suppliers are buying in less quantity and holding less stock, so you cannot fulfil orders quickly. Which in turn means customers won't place orders!!! And in addition, everyone wants to start haggling.

So less sales and less margin is a seriously bad situation. Staff illness and being closed is compounding the issue.

There is a double dip coming and retailers will drop like flies more at the end of this year than last. You mark my words!

Comment

Why do you put up with so much aggro for £100 per day?

Let's face it - your real business failed utterly and you should just accept it and stick to your employment in disguise.

Better go harass poor permies with outsourcing questions - you know you love it

Comment

WFH, sit at the counter working on the lappy and take time out to deal with the odd customer that comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Why do you put up with so much aggro for £100 per day?

Let's face it - your real business failed utterly and you should just accept it and stick to your employment in disguise.

Better go harass poor permies with outsourcing questions - you know you love it
                This was a new shop that opened in May 2008 for my missus who wanted to quit her job as she didnt like it.

So it worked well to start with, until the missus wanted another child, got pregnant and then pretty much fcked up the whole situation.

I pay £27K a year out in wages to other people and at the end of the year profit = £0 for a whole load of hassle. My other two from 2003 used to clear about £30K profit.

The cost of just closing the door and running the lease out will lose me £25000 or I can bite the bullet and run the bloody thing until May next year and then close which is going to lose me maybe £2-£3k.

Its annoying, because for someone like the missus it's a good opportunity for a job. It worked out with one child at £50 per day childcare, but now there is two and it's £100 per day = £25K per year!!!

Only regret I have is jacking my Perm Job in the end of last year as I couldn't balance everything. I should have closed and taken the hit as the shares options I had in perm company would now be >£50k

Had it with tat!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  This was a new shop that opened in May 2008 for my missus who wanted to quit her job as she didnt like it.

So it worked well to start with, until the missus wanted another child, got pregnant and then pretty much fcked up the whole situation.

I pay £27K a year out in wages to other people and at the end of the year profit = £0 for a whole load of hassle. My other two from 2003 used to clear about £30K profit.

The cost of just closing the door and running the lease out will lose me £25000 or I can bite the bullet and run the bloody thing until May next year and then close which is going to lose me maybe £2-£3k.

Its annoying, because for someone like the missus it's a good opportunity for a job. It worked out with one child at £50 per day childcare, but now there is two and it's £100 per day = £25K per year!!!

Only regret I have is jacking my Perm Job in the end of last year as I couldn't balance everything. I should have closed and taken the hit as the shares options I had in perm company would now be >£50k

Had it with tat!
                  Better to try and fail than never to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Better to try and fail than never to try.
                    And even better to try and succeed... big

Comment

Working...
                    X