• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vat

It's blimming loads when you think about it! Which nobody does, apart from at the retail end and rarely even then because people just get used to it.

With the amount of VAT I turf over with every invoice you could buy a decent sofa, rent a decent flat in Chelsea or visit a mid-market working girl every night.
    And making it payable at the point of invoice rather than payment is even better.

You want to try Denmark: 25%.

What is better they charge it on any import. i.e. buy some books from Amazon UK and they bang another 25% on top.

Now what was that EU ruling that said they weren't allowed to do that?
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I think the French invented it.

Comment

I remember the fuss when maggie put vat on fish and chips so the chippies sold salt and vinegar and gave the fish and chips for free. Those were the days when tax avoidance was fun.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
          And making it payable at the point of invoice rather than payment is even better.
          You could always try the Cash Accounting Scheme

HTH.

Comment

Darn, and there I was hoping, for an instant, if you get paid in cash you don't have to account for it.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
              Darn, and there I was hoping, for an instant, if you get paid in cash you don't have to account for it.
              Isn't that why they made you close down your last company?

Comment

That's the principle most corner shop owners follow.
                I'm Spartacus.

Comment

You want to try Denmark: 25%.

What is better they charge it on any import. i.e. buy some books from Amazon UK and they bang another 25% on top.

Now what was that EU ruling that said they weren't allowed to do that?
                  If you order from the net within the EU, you should be charged your country's VAT by the internet seller. Which is what the EU says should happen.

By contrast, I forgot myself here in Switzerland and ordered something from the EU: duty to pay, fee for customs inspection, fee by Post Office for presenting to Customs, and VAT on the lot. Hmm.

PS yes, it was a French invention.

Comment

bloody frogs
                    wonder if GB would have come up with the idea if it hadn't been invented before him
                    Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X