• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Normal Salaries - Wow!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normal Salaries - Wow!

list your job and wage - Page 4 - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

Was browsing through the above website on how to get tips on saving money. Every penny counts and all that.

The thread linked above is a real eye opener. I suppose we sometime lose track of what most people earn in our world.

Some examples:

Computer Systems Analyst in Plastics Company, aged 49 in North of England
    £30k

Im 37 and run the UK arm of a Global Petro-Chem Company
    £39K per annum
    FS Pension + other good benefits

28, Business Intelligence Developer, £36,500 - BUT, for a London wage that isn't as much as it seems. Looking to move on and earn £43k+!

Chip shop. £5.73 p/h. Free meal.

I'm surprised you're surprised.

Comment

AndyW perhaps?

Comment

The better paid ones appear to be mostly in the public sector. They are in for a shock.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Try going to the government stats web page for annual incomes, that's a real eye opener.

From memory, too lazy to google:

Median wage is something like 25k
          90th percentile wage something like 35k

Even in the London suburbs, it's not that much higher (5k maybe)

Comment

I had a perm job which I had converted to from Contract. Clientco liked me so converted my takehome to salary. It worked out as 100K for a managers position.

So without really researching the perm market I jacked. All similar roles I went for where in the 50-60K bracket, and it turns out that I had been placed on a directors salary to keep me.

Perm salaries are tulip.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              I had a perm job which I had converted to from Contract. Clientco liked me so converted my takehome to salary. It worked out as 100K for a managers position.

So without really researching the perm market I jacked. All similar roles I went for where in the 50-60K bracket, and it turns out that I had been placed on a directors salary to keep me.

Perm salaries are tulip.
              Where's the surprise? It has ever been thus.

Don't worry, Sasguru will be along soon to spread his bulltulip.

Which is nice.

Comment

For years it was a rough standard that for 95% of the population the highest rate of tax they paid would be basic rate. However, in more recent times that has changed.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Where's the surprise? It has ever been thus.

Don't worry, Sasguru will be along soon to spread his bulltulip.

Which is nice.
                  Whats stupid is, a 100K salary still only works out at roughly £350 per day.

I was just offered a really good job at £70K. The role was EMEA manager of a large OEM, was constant European travel and selling your soul. Could be a good longterm opportunity. But by the time you run the calculators across it, it's not worth it. It offered 5 weeks holiday, I could take home the same contracting and only have to work 34 weeks on an average rate!

It just dont make sense
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

What's that I hear?

It's almost like the sound of a group of contractors counting their blessings.

Comment

Working...
                    X