• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Comparison of 1st-class rail travel operators

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparison of 1st-class rail travel operators

All this talk of public transport... let's focus on 1st-class. What do different operators give you in 1st? GNER seem to only give you big seats and tea/coffee in a proper cup, someone mentioned free bacon... are there any operators who still do proper rail travel? Like sit-down dinners, etc?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

First Class travel - free Wi-Fi, great meals and more | Virgin Trains
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        All this talk of public transport... let's focus on 1st-class. What do different operators give you in 1st? GNER seem to only give you big seats and tea/coffee in a proper cup, someone mentioned free bacon... are there any operators who still do proper rail travel? Like sit-down dinners, etc?
        GNER?? Are you living in this century??

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
          GNER?? Are you living in this century??
          Eh? I'm sure they ran trains through Durham a year ago. Proper old-school coaches too. Maybe I have the name wrong but GNER sounds right.

Comment

I went 1st on Virgin a few years back as they were bringing in their new trains. Wasn't impressed, the seat seemed just the same. Maybe they have introduced more new trains since 2001 though

Comment

Caledonian Sleeper trains | ScotRail
              SBB: Home - Online Timetable, Ticket Shop, Online travel shop
              Elipsos
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I use Virgin first class London-Manchester on a Friday evening (it's nearly half the price of standard class on that train ) and they don't let you alone the whole journey - drinks trolley, hot meal, dessert, coffee, drinks trolley again. It's well over the top really, but a nice way to end the week.

Comment

Eh? I'm sure they ran trains through Durham a year ago. Proper old-school coaches too. Maybe I have the name wrong but GNER sounds right.
                  Well I thought GNER went tits up*.... the franchise was taken over by National Express...... and (the East Coast bit) went tits up.... and its now "East Coast Mainline" (run by the Govt I think)........

* a few years ago I thought

And WAGN (West Anglian Great Northern) became FCC (First Capital Connect).....

The old GNER rolling stock has been "re-branded".. well at least 1/2 the trains had the red/orange stripe overpainted with white for Nat Express.... Don't think they did anything for ECM.....
                  And most of the staff still wear their GNER branded clothes/uniform.......

<Humble mode>but I don't travel on it much nowadays....... so I could be wrong....... </Humble mode> but I don't think so!

Comment

Wow another train thread!

If you want to travel in style you should take Scot Rail's sleeper service to Fort William. They tried scrapping it a few years back but there was a public outcry.

Comment

Working...
                    X