• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Used and abused !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used and abused !

I feel violated ! At 2pmish today I lined up an interview for tomorrow morning. The agent was up front that he knew other candidates had been interviewed from another agency and it smacked straight away of a ploy by the client to force down the rate. I was beaten down on rate but said OK, 4pm interview cancelled, they'd taken one of the earlier candidates after all.

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    it smacked straight away of a ploy by the client to force down the rate.
    You mean the clients (people who pay you money) should not have right to have choice?

If you have got alternative earnings equal or higher to what you quoted then you should not whine that you lost the job to someone who offered to do it for less.

On the other hand if your alternative earnings were 0, then you should have taken the job.

Simples.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      You mean the clients (people who pay you money) should not have right to have choice?

If you have got alternative earnings equal or higher to what you quoted then you should not whine that you lost the job to someone who offered to do it for less.

On the other hand if your alternative earnings were 0, then you should have taken the job.

Simples.
      Wise words.........................just not in the guff above!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Simples.
        Maybe I didn't explain very well. The client had already found someone ( Mr Original ) but obviously hadn't struck a deal to their liking, they then briefed another agent who found me ( Mr Mug ) and I agreed to a low rate ( quite a lot lower than I've ever been before). I was never even interviewed, I think they then went to the original person and said Mr Mug ( me ) will do it for a low rate, and Mr Original then rolled over. Mr Client Manager is very happy that he has saved a few bob. Perfectly within their rights but the contractor they've got will probably bog off when he finds something else at a decent rate. All part of the fun and games. The agent I dealt with was the one whining.

Comment

Maybe I didn't explain very well. The client had already found someone ( Mr Original ) but obviously hadn't struck a deal to their liking, they then briefed another agent who found me ( Mr Mug ) and I agreed to a low rate ( quite a lot lower than I've ever been before). I was never even interviewed, I think they then went to the original person and said Mr Mug ( me ) will do it for a low rate, and Mr Original then rolled over. Mr Client Manager is very happy that he has saved a few bob. Perfectly within their rights but the contractor they've got will probably bog off when he finds something else at a decent rate. All part of the fun and games[1]. The agent I dealt with was the one whining[2].
          [1] It is. Unless you have a contract signed, it is only a lead and you should keep on searching. Hence "subject to contract". In this case you had not even got that far, so should not be this miffed. Why agree to a rate lower than you are happy with? (Note, we all have a minimum we CAN work for, and in the lean times are forced into it sometimes.)

[2] Oh, great, you had me confused in the OP.

Chin up.

SY01
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I worked on this Fruit and Veg stall.

Woman comes and asks "How much are the apples?"

"10p a lb", I say.

"The stall over there is only 8p a lb"

"Well, mine are 8p a lb when I don't have any either."

The guy who took the low rate fell for the oldest sales trick in the book.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

The client had already found someone ( Mr Original ) but obviously hadn't struck a deal to their liking
              They have not found them then if they could not strike the deal.

Maybe you were used, maybe you could have gotten a job out of it either way I can't see how you were "abused" - say if you had your legs broken in a car accident and a nurse picked you up to take care of you indefinately in her house, then - maybe - you'd be right.

So get some fking sense of perspective - nobody abused you because you did not get a job.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X