• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boiler Room Scams

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boiler Room Scams

BBC News - Fraudsters' 'suckers list' revealed by regulator

Anyone been phoned by americans trying to sell investments?

I got a call a couple of weeks ago, within 5 seconds of the guy starting to talk I was getting alarm bells ringing in my head from all the dodgy sales techniques he was using including the classic line:
    "Who doesn't want to make money?"
    At which point I told him to piss off and hung up.

I should add: Not sure where he got my number from, but he seemed to be targetting small business owners. He didn't know my name just had a number for the company
    Coffee's for closers

No, but I did receive a long telephone message (must have been close to 5 minutes) left on my answer phone the other day, from Dell trying to flog warranty.

Comment

Really like the film 'boiler room' depicting this from both sides, it's hard to believe the supposedly smart people getting taken in by this but I believe they are very convincing indeed and people are greedy by nature.

Comment

I was sold a direct boiler for an indirect system, six months later it leaked.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          I was sold a direct boiler for an indirect system, six months later it leaked.
          That's nothing. My father-in-law married an old boiler 50 years ago, and she has been venting poisonous gases ever since.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Anyone been phoned by americans trying to sell investments?
            Yes, about once a month. Luckily I have no money to invest!

Comment

I'm often bewildered how people get suckered into these scams - like the Nigerian 419 scam.

But I guess these folks have honed their skills over the years and know exactly what buttons to push. They are the pros at this, and their 'marks' are very much the amateurs - however clued up they think they may be.

Comment

For many years now, I've been using my elder brother's technique for dealing with nuisance callers (well, thse that et passed my TPS status).

You leave a pause of J U S T long enough, then say in your best serial killer voice: "Do you want to be my friend?" (Another pause) "I haven't got any friends..." So far, 100% success rate.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                  I'm often bewildered how people get suckered into these scams - like the Nigerian 419 scam.

But I guess these folks have honed their skills over the years and know exactly what buttons to push. They are the pros at this, and their 'marks' are very much the amateurs - however clued up they think they may be.
                  I got phoned by a boiler room trying to sell FX trading. The story was send us just a little to start I want to show you what I can do for you. I believe if I had taken up his offer my small sum would have done reasonably well, if had expressed an interest in redeeming it that would not have happened for one reason or another. They then try to snare a bigger sum from you for even more profits.

It's hard to belive that people can be so brazenly trying to cheat you when most people are honest.

Comment

Working...
                  X