• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tedium is....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tedium is....

Being stood behind someone for ages while they try and explain something they don't really understand by clicking all over their screen opening & closing random window & generally not having a clue what they are on about. And being expected to stand there and listen to it too.

SASGuru.

HTH
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
      Being stood behind someone for ages while they try and explain something they don't really understand by clicking all over their screen opening & closing random window & generally not having a clue what they are on about. And being expected to stand there and listen to it too.
      Sounds like the archetypal windows sys admin.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
        There was no time or budget in the planning to spend an hour or so documenting this, so now it’s going to cost ten times as much for someone to try explain something he doesn’t understand to various different people one at a time.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Ahhh, when I see "Testing" and "Documentation" on a project plan I instantly think "More time for development"...

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
            Sounds like the archetypal windows sys admin.
            They're not very bright these Admin types.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Ahhh, when I see "Testing" and "Documentation" on a project plan I instantly think "More time for development"...
              Good stuff. You make the bugs, I’ll find a few of them, neither of us document anything and we’ll keep each other in work for many years to come. Boomed!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Good stuff. You make the bugs, I’ll find a few of them, neither of us document anything and we’ll keep each other in work for many years to come. Boomed!
                I knew we'd see eye to eye on this one - well almost, you're a short arse...

Comment

I worked on an aerospace project where there was no requirement in the standards for hand over documentation.

So all documentation got dropped from the plan.

Then they made a week = 21 days.

It was still delivered late, so late it couldn't be properly tested. Whew...

Luckily the device got blown up on the launch-pad, so no one knew it didn't really work.

So everyone got paid, and then paid to build another.

But this time someone else won the contract.

They asked for any documentation, willing to pay indeed.

Too many company confidentials, no can do. :rolling
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I knew we'd see eye to eye on this one - well almost, you're a short arse...

Well yes. Last time I went to Britain I was reminded that most people there are quite short compared to NL; I’m certainly not unusually large but the trains didn’t have enough room for my legs and I had to leave the bloody theatre half way through the show as I couldn’t sit with my legs folded up against my chest for any longer. Given your size you would be making a wise move if you were to consider a move to Holland, where the average man is about 6ft3 and most things are built to accommodate much larger people than that.

Comment

Working...
                    X