• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Enoch Powell

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enoch Powell

Just after watching Great Railway Journeys the other night, I stayed tuned to BBC4 and watched the programme that followed that was all about the history of mental asylums. What I didn't realise was that the person who indstigated their demise was none other than Enoch Powell who campaign extensively as something he saw as a stain on our conscience. The programme even taked about his "compassion". Crikey, on the BBC? What's the world coming to?

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    Just after watching Great Railway Journeys the other night, I stayed tuned to BBC4 and watched the programme that followed that was all about the history of mental asylums. What I didn't realise was that the person who indstigated their demise was none other than Enoch Powell who campaign extensively as something he saw as a stain on our conscience. The programme even taked about his "compassion". Crikey, on the BBC? What's the world coming to?
    Weak
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Weak
      Thought it was an interesting topic of discussion actually.

Comment

Oi Gricerboy!!! You need to read up on just what the "Mental Asylums" were like and what they were actually used for.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Oi Gricerboy!!! You need to read up on just what the "Mental Asylums" were like and what they were actually used for.
          I know fully well fatboy. I was merely expressing my surprise at Enoch Powel being shown in a positive light. On the BBC.

Comment

One viewpoint doesn't necesarily imply all the others associated with the same "wing". I believe he was against capital punishment too.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
              I was merely expressing my surprise at Enoch Powel being shown in a positive light. On the BBC.
              That would never have happened under New Labour!

HTH
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Enoch Powell had a lot going for him until the late 60s. His "rivers of blood" came a bit out of the blue. Amongst the surprise, the best reaction (and I can't for the life of me remember who said it) was "oh, he's gone mad. People do, you know."

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                  Enoch Powell had a lot going for him until the late 60s. His "rivers of blood" came a bit out of the blue. Amongst the surprise, the best reaction (and I can't for the life of me remember who said it) was "oh, he's gone mad. People do, you know."
                  Hence he covered his arse with the mental asylum issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X