• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So much for going down the plumbing route

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So much for going down the plumbing route

Work dries up for 26,000 new plumbers

The era of the £100,000-a-year plumber is at an end with the trade predicting a fall in prices and a rise in shoddy work as thousands of newly qualified trainees start up in business.

New research has found that a record 26,000 people are training to become plumbers, encouraged by reports of easy money and plentiful business.

But Clive Dickin, the chief executive of the Association of Plumbing and Heating Contractors, said that while there had been a 45,000 shortfall in 2001, it would be made up this year.

"It looks like we are now going to fill that and even exceed that," he said. "The law of supply and demand - the more plumbers that are out there - means that prices will start to reduce. I anticipate that we will start to see them fall by the end of the year."

The association estimates that only 1,500 trainees will find employment this year. The remainder will be forced to sell their services without any formal qualifications, which require on-the-job experience to complete.

"We are getting reports of people saying: 'We have done the training, where are all the jobs people are talking about? There aren't any'," said Mr Dickin.

The Government-backed SummitSkills is preparing a report on the problem. Its chief executive, Keith Marshall, said a balance needed to be struck between the numbers entering the industry and the jobs available.

Mr Dickin said: "We are concerned that significant numbers are leaving education and entering an employment market that is already saturated.''

The association believes that training courses that run for only two weeks are "seriously flawed".

Plumber or "Heating Engineer"?

The route to go is getting Corgo registered, then you can be a "heating engineer". Call one of these guys a plumber and he won't be happy!!!

You'll need two or three years to get your nvq, be able to display field work, and show you have a stable business or work for a recognised plumber...so it ain;t easy....and quite right too.

MTB...."IT plumbing services"

Comment

Not a problem,one hears there are jobs galore and pots of money to be had for the asking in the computering industry,if only one can be bothered getting out of ones bed in the morning.

Commuting to my Computering Job

Comment

I happen to know a plumber in the construction industry... it's not that the work isn't out there BUT, not wanting to sound a blanket racist BUT apparently, it's all the foreigners coming over working cash in-hand on site who are over-supplying the industry... only problem is, they're not fully certified or registered... therefore, shoddy workmanship but, costing the e'er half the costs and no overheads.....

Comment

What these people should do is get on their bikes and look for work. We need to saturate the market with plumbers to drive down prices. The regulator should deal with shoddy work. And if this makes people miserable with the insecurity and comptetition then Fu*k em, the thieving scum.

Comment

france needs you

They may not let Polish plumbers in but there is nothing to stop Brits going there. CVs please to: Monsieur Dodgy, Le Dodgy agence, Touldodge, Dodgence, France.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/france/sto...519624,00.html
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky
              What these people should do is get on their bikes and look for work. We need to saturate the market with plumbers to drive down prices. The regulator should deal with shoddy work. And if this makes people miserable with the insecurity and comptetition then Fu*k em, the thieving scum.
              Excellent JW.

Its a known fact that the more miserable the UK workforce is with insecurity and petite renumeration the higher the Stock Market will climb.

Perhaps we ought to consider issuing a Fatwa against these plumbers, Lord knows theyve been begging for it ...

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                They may not let Polish plumbers in but there is nothing to stop Brits going there. CVs please to: Monsieur Dodgy, Le Dodgy agence, Touldodge, Dodgence, France.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/france/sto...519624,00.html

Exactly, that's what my mate has done.... International Plumber for all the British Embassy's abroad.... he's currently in Beunos Aires.... NICE!! And apparently the ladies love the 'builders ass"

Comment

Originally posted by Bumner
                  Exactly, that's what my mate has done.... International Plumber for all the British Embassy's abroad.... he's currently in Beunos Aires.... NICE!! And apparently the ladies love the 'builders ass"

Shouldn't that be La Plumb Deriere ?

Comment

Here are some facts from real life - my house mate's washing machine leaked and ruined flooring in a small utility room - 2 by 1.5 m at the most - its very small rectangularly shaped place. My mate got quote to fix it - £200 for few square meters of new carpet and work to get it done, I mean ffs, its not like whole 40 sq^2 room, its very small piece of cake of a job, but it still costs £200!

Comment

Working...
                    X