• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another permie candidate just turned down my role!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another permie candidate just turned down my role!

When I started at clientco they called me ‘interim test manager’ and said they were going to hire a permie within 2 months and then I would be turfed out. That was 6 months ago, and since then they’ve interviewed load of people, offered my job to them, including one last week and now the fourth person has turned down the offer and they have to start looking around again. Oh well, I guess they just have to keep hold of this expensive bastard contractor for a while longer!

Already had a month’s extension before the new guy would start; now he isn’t coming.

Boomed.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    When I started at clientco they called me ‘interim test manager’ and said they were going to hire a permie within 2 months and then I would be turfed out. That was 6 months ago, and since then they’ve interviewed load of people, offered my job to them, including one last week and now the fourth person has turned down the offer and they have to start looking around again. Oh well, I guess they just have to keep hold of this expensive bastard contractor for a while longer!

Already had a month’s extension before the new guy would start; now he isn’t coming.

Boomed.
    They're just waiting for the right guy...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      They're just waiting for the right guy...
      They found the right people, four times, but didn’t offer them enough money. They’re in the ‘permies are cheaper than contractors’ mode, without realising that nearly all highly experienced test managers (>15yrs) in Holland are either contractors or partners in some insultancy and earning six figures, so offering 40k euros won’t buy them very much.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        They found the right people, four times, but didn’t offer them enough money. They’re in the ‘permies are cheaper than contractors’ mode, without realising that nearly all highly experienced test managers (>15yrs) in Holland are either contractors or partners in some insultancy and earning six figures, so offering 40k euros won’t buy them very much.
        It's not just permie roles they are offering low rates for, I was offer a low rate last week for a role in Den Hague. Agent said he had an agreed rate with the client, but for this role the client was only willing to pay 3/4 of the rate. You may have guessed I declined.
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I really don't understand why companies do this and can only assume it is the clueless HR departments who are to blame seeing only monetary figures as opposed to the skills/experience that comes with it.

I'd be more concerned if it was the hiring manager who is trying to hire cheap labour as he should know that if you pay peanuts...

Comment

sounds strangely familiar

congratulations Mitch
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
              sounds strangely familiar

congratulations Mitch
              Mmmmm. Are you sure you and Mitch aren't just being putting the pressure on in the interviews and making it as completely unappealing as possible???

'Are you happy to work weekends and nights for no extra pay'
              'Yeah, you cant take xmas or school holidays'
              'No bonuses, and they check with your doctor when you get sick'

Blah blah....
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Mmmmm. Are you sure you and Mitch aren't just being putting the pressure on in the interviews and making it as completely unappealing as possible???

'Are you happy to work weekends and nights for no extra pay'
                'Yeah, you cant take xmas or school holidays'
                'No bonuses, and they check with your doctor when you get sick'

Blah blah....
                slanderous accusations

every little helps though
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                  slanderous accusations

every little helps though
                  I have a mate, who when I met him was a perm SQL DBA working for me. With a bit of coaching in the ways of the £. He went freelance and is now a damn site better contractor then I have ever been!! (No comments please)

DBA Manager for a large clientco. He is a NIGHTMARE at giving interviews. He personally has a near photographic memory for memorising the Kimble, Delaneys, Osbourne, Microsoft books etc and would read them to and fro work every day on the train! Because of that, when asked to interview he will always ask 10 questions along the lines of 'Whats the maximum number of threads X can use when Y is in operation?' or 'What is the maximum memory size for a gooseberry while the strawberry plant is blossoming'!!!

Needless to say. Because of his encylopedic mind and rather arrogant nature he completely intimidates candidates, who funnily enough never quite come up to mustard!

and yes, annoyingly he can do the job!
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Blah blah....
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X