• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie wanting to sign up as contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie wanting to sign up as contractor

Hello everybody,

I hope i have posted this in the right section, i beleive it is a legal issue of sorts.

my issue is that i am a permie for company A, however i work full time for a client of theirs. what i want to do is to leave company A, (pay is rubbish and they wont even consider a pay rise) and work for the client (job acuired through an agency) as a contractor.

is this possible, i have been through my contract and i cannot see anywhere that it states i cannot leave and then return as a contractor, its got the usual spiel of confidentiality, non soliciting etc...

i have spoken to the client and as far as there concerned they dont care who i work through and have spoken to the agency that has advsertised the job as contracting and they are happy for me to this obviosuly, just need to know legality of this before i hand in my notice to comany A?

thank you in advance

Originally posted by homer77 View Post
    i have spoken to the client and as far as there concerned they dont care who i work through and have spoken to the agency that has advsertised the job as contracting and they are happy for me to this obviosuly, just need to know legality of this before i hand in my notice to comany A?
    Welcome!

Apply for the contract, if you get it then speak to your company about going and working for one of their clients. I can't really see that they could stop you unless you have a golden handcuff clause in your permie contract.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Companies often have agreements between them not to poach each other's staff. I'd check again with the client that there are no such issues.
      Loopy Loo

Comment

From a legal point of view unless your permie contract has a clause stating you cannot work for clients then I believe there is no issue there (however, I am not a lawyer)

The only issue I see you having is an IR35 point of view. If you are going from being a permie working full time for Client A and then doing the same job for the same client as a contractor then unless you diversify and provide services to mulitple clients other than client at AT THE SAME TIME as working for client A then HMRC will see you quite rightly as a permie in disguise rather than a true business, mainly because they will say nothing has changed form when you were permie to when you were a contractor other than you're now being paid more and so they will see you as inside IR35 meaning you'll pay more tax.
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
          From a legal point of view unless your permie contract has a clause stating you cannot work for clients then I believe there is no issue there (however, I am not a lawyer)

The only issue I see you having is an IR35 point of view. If you are going from being a permie working full time for Client A and then doing the same job for the same client as a contractor then unless you diversify and provide services to mulitple clients other than client at AT THE SAME TIME as working for client A then HMRC will see you quite rightly as a permie in disguise rather than a true business, mainly because they will say nothing has changed form when you were permie to when you were a contractor other than you're now being paid more and so they will see you as inside IR35 meaning you'll pay more tax.
          WHS

Most companies don't have an exclusion in their contracts. Obviousily companies get pissed off if their clients solicit their staff continuosly but doesnt look an issue here.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

hi guys,

thanks so much for the advice, i figured as much but thought i should get further advice.

i can post the the contract on here if needs be, or if am even allowed??

not worried about IR35 have been contracting for the past 5 years, this was the 1st permie job i have taken since leaving uni, only becasue the client is in the financial secotor and i have been gagging to get into that area for a while now... even with being inside IR35 i will still get paid way more every month than i do as a permie!

thanks again guys, its much appreciated

Comment

You can post it but dont expect many answers. We arn't legal experts and most of us are too busy to be picking through contracts. It's your contract and it's your responsibility.

IMO going contracting for a client that your full time at is dodgy ground. I would go in to it with the full expectation to get knocked back just on grounds people are pissed off u are getting paid more to do the same if there isn't a clause.

Don't assume anything in that position is my advice.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

no probs, i dont think i will get knocked back as its prity much a done deal, i just wanted to know the legality of leaving perm to then sign up as a contractor thats all.

the answers i got have been enough to confirm my thoughtss in the first instance.

thanks again for all the advice...

Comment

Working...
                X