• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ever made a massive cock up... and blagged it off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever made a massive cock up... and blagged it off

Made a bit of a wilmslow-esque cock up last week. In a fit of absent mindedness I deleted the wrong thing. Oops.

Not the end of the world as it could be recovered from a backup but not exactly good for my rep if I had to own up to it.

So spent three hours in the evening trying, and failing, to recreate from scratch.

Had a bit of a sleepless night and then in the morning concocted a vaguely plausible technical reason why we had to recreate something from the backup... to be met with a 'they have lost the password for that account.'

Argh. I then, against all hope, found a massive security hole in the system where the password was stored in clear text and was able to recreate the object.

Now it is sitting there looking all shiny and new and professional and working.

And nobody knows I f'd up. Elation is the word.

It's almost worth doing for the feeling afterwards. Could be addictive.

Ever come back from a self-inflicted sucker punch to win the fight yourself?
    Last edited by DieScum; 21 May 2010, 10:29.

Er, Um .........
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Ah my young padawan, that is why one backdoors place, and the password in plain text leaves.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

This thread title is soooooo open to abuse.

Comment

I have “delete key phobia”. Before I delete anything I make a copy, then another copy hidden away before I even consider using the delete key. Even if I have been instructed to delete something, I will make a copy, assess the situation, close off rights first and see what happens.

Thankfully most IT bodds are gun-ho about deleting and without much though just delete anything. This can then give me several days or even weeks work rebuilding.

Tape back-ups and snap-shots are not always the answer and are not that helpful for live systems that can’t be shut down.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I once held up a bookmakers with a mate.

We were young and he got caught on camera.

Knowing he would grass me up and knowing his brother was the same frame as me. I got my self an alibi and phoned the old bill straight away saying he had done it with his brother.

I had an alibi. He and his brother didnt.

They've still got 5 years to go.

Sweet.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              I once held up a bookmakers with a mate.

We were young and he got caught on camera.

Knowing he would grass me up and knowing his brother was the same frame as me. I got my self an alibi and phoned the old bill straight away saying he had done it with his brother.

I had an alibi. He and his brother didnt.

They've still got 5 years to go.

Sweet.
              Tell 'e the other story about your harsh childhood when you had to use a pool ball in a sock...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Tell 'e the other story about your harsh childhood when you had to use a pool ball in a sock...
                Did I ever tell you the story of how I killed a man with a single glance?
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Did I ever tell you the story of how I killed a man with a single glance?
                  You mean the one when some poor chap actually saw you in person?

Comment

Not a technical error but back in permie days I did once go to pick up an important American client at the airport in a company car and then forgot where I'd left it. We spent half an hour wandering about looking for it. I think he was impressed.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X