• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Breaking Bad" TV show simply utterly amazingly good....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Breaking Bad" TV show simply utterly amazingly good....

A few weeks ago when I was abroad someone mentioned to me a list of their current TV shows i.e. The Pacific (i.e. almost on par with Band of Brothers), House (witty black humour) but a third was mentioned that I heard rumours of and that was 'Breaking Bad'.

'Breaking Bad' is an AMC TV show (those who brought you the rather stylised 'Madmen' - a bit boring) and who will soon bring you the zombie TV series 'The Walking Dead' from 'The Green Mile' and 'Shawshank Redemption' director Frank Darabont' adapted from a popular graphic novel.

'Breaking Bad' is about a middle aged U.S. High school chemistry teacher in Albuquerque (New Mexico) who is married to an attractive wife and they have one teenage child with cerebal palsy and another on the way - they are reasonably comfortable but not well off. One day he discoveres he has lung cancer and its terminal. He needs money to support his family so one day given an idea he gets from his law enforcement brother in law he sets about manufacturing illegal class 'A' drug crystel methamphetamine and he gets his ex high School pupil Jesse Pinkman who has gone off the rails to peddle it on the streets.

This series is terrific, the acting, the irony the capers - its simply brilliant, they say that Americans don't do irony well in dramas - this destroys this myth and puts our U.K. TV drams series to shame. I'm not a big fan of US TV series and even less so of UK ones but this one is a master class in how to produce one.

I believe its being aired in the UK on the "FX" channel and also I think Channel 5 (U.S.) if you've got these but I would seek alternative forms of watching these, the first series is just 7 episodes, the 2nd 13 episodes, I'm on the 9th episode of Season 3 and it gets better and better. Even some of the side characters in this show have their own website.

One thing that is irritating is that despite how good it is, I don't think that the BBC will pick it up due to the moral dillema of having a terminal man cooking up class 'A' drugs to latter sell on so that he can provide for his family in the future .... I say that this series actually discourages and ridicules this activity rather than glamourising it, its almost like an episode of Black Adder where Baldrick the side kick (Jesse Pinkman) or just plain circumstances gets them into terrible trouble and then just by chance they get out of hot water at the last minute.

It really is worth your time, go see.

Breaking Bad - AMC

I like all the websites they've set up with little games and advice.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Will have a look
      Thanks!
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Been watching this since it started. Very good, just amazed at how much they get away with. Highly recommend it.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Season 2 starts here next Sunday.

Already set to record.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
            A few weeks ago when I was abroad someone mentioned to me a list of their current TV shows i.e. The Pacific (i.e. almost on par with Band of Brothers),

House (witty black humour)
            One day he discoveres he has lung cancer and its terminal. He needs money to support his family so one day given an idea he gets from his law enforcement brother in law he sets about manufacturing illegal class 'A' drug crystel methamphetamine and he gets his ex high School pupil Jesse Pinkman who has gone off the rails to peddle it on the streets.
            this destroys this myth and puts our U.K. TV drams series to shame.
            Breaking Bad - AMC
            • Pacific IMHO is not a patch on Band of Brothers
            • Never really got into House so cannot comment
            • Isn't the prognosis for Terminal Lung Cancer circa 6 months - so wouldn't that limit the japes they can get up to? & surprised its been spun out to get to a series III

The UK output for drama has been dire for quite some time...decades even
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              Thanks for the tips. Season 2 starts here next Sunday.

Already set to record.
              What channel please?

Familiar with the show but never watched it so might give it a look if I can get hold of Season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                • Isn't the prognosis for Terminal Lung Cancer circa 6 months - so wouldn't that limit the japes they can get up to?
                It's TV... how long has Maggie Simpson been a baby? Besides 6 months is 180 days which in theory could be 180 episodes.

If the main character is shown as declining all the way through, it also means they can't spin it out forever which would be interesting.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                  What channel please?
                  This is on Swiss TV. SF2 at 22:10 next Sunday the 30th. It will no doubt be broadcast in both English and German.

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                  Familiar with the show but never watched it so might give it a look if I can get hold of Season 1.
                  A quick search shows that the DVD is available, to buy or rent. I'll get it if I like the programme enough.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

A walking zombie show! I love zombies me, you can never have too many zombies.

PS Proper zombies, dead and rotting, not just a population hit with some plague that makes them eat brains.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X