• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pair Programming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pair Programming

I can see the benefits of pair programming, but what happens when the other half of the pair is a complete lone ranger? Despite being on the project for a number of weeks the 'other half' hasn't got SVN working meaning code integration is done by me sending my files by email . I can't seem to get them to even get the basic core code running now as they seem to now be opting for a big bang theory to getting it work.

I wouldn't give a monkeys save for the fact I'm starting to look a bit of a lemon when we do stand ups and finding I'm becoming more of a loose end. The 'other half' seems good enough and not a bad sort, although over the last couple of weeks I've found the standard response is 'yeah, nearly got that working' followed by a lot of fast chat about reasons why it's not quite there.

So dear readers, what can one do, save for more posts on Contractor UK?

Arrange a meeting and discuss the design, discuss it until it become sudo code.

My guess is, he is stuck somewhere, not sure what to do, or has coded himself into a corner.

By saying you want to discuss the design, he may be more open to share
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I though the point of pair programming is that you work on one machine, does it matter if he can't get SVN working on his machine?

Comment

Sounds like a good one. He's a bit of a bugger to pin down though and I'm coming to the conclusion that he's fairly good, but there's a good bit of chat too. He does manage to say all the right words in the stand ups. Things like 'yeah that's easy', 'it won't take long' etc. As it happens it's cost us a deadline already and I'm trying dead hard not sound like it's me trying to slow the project down by saying that things aren't quite finished yet/need more work.

I'm only moaning because he's been moved for a week and I'm trying get my head round the multiple half finished code examples I've 'just been emailed'. To get anything working will be interesting.

Comment

The soup is right. If its a pair as I understand the term, you only need one machine/SVN account to write and check in code.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            I though the point of pair programming is that you work on one machine, does it matter if he can't get SVN working on his machine?
            Yes, but the project is behind so we need to get other bits done separately (obviously not true pair programming I know). Perhaps I should change the title to working in a very small team with a light smattering of pair programming!

Comment

Leave on their desk a tape recorder with a message saying that a slow poison is coursing through their veins and you'd like to play a game of pair programming with the chap next to him...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                I'm only moaning because he's been moved for a week and I'm trying get my head round the multiple half finished code examples I've 'just been emailed'. To get anything working will be interesting.
                Any chance of getting SVN working for him in his absence?

For what it's worth I've just junked a project where the partner was good with the talk but hard to pin down; He also had yet to produce anything which worked. I found the guy more of a hindrance than a help.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Walk over to his machine and pair install tortoise SVN.

Comment

Odd how things can come together. The team leader just came over so I just said that we had to ensure that all the code is being checked in. As if by magic the 'other half' appeared moments later so I've agreed to stay late to help get a working version of the code checked in.

I do find this kind of manoeuvring somewhat distasteful, but I guess it's a part of working. Still all seems okay and no bad feeling.

Comment

Working...
                    X