• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving to the Stelvio pass

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving to the Stelvio pass

Planning to do it this summer, anyone done it? Recommended stop off points etc? Was thinking of staying in Lake Como for a week then heading back, good idea or too far away. Any advice appreciated. Can't seem to find a really good site on the old google....

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    Planning to do it this summer, anyone done it? Recommended stop off points etc? Was thinking of staying in Lake Como for a week then heading back, good idea or too far away. Any advice appreciated. Can't seem to find a really good site on the old google....
    Done it a few times, by bicycle as well, and once driving a bus with passengers, was a right laugh (well for me ;-) I've a photo on my blog where I'm in a Lambo and get overtaken by white-van-man on a down-hill off-camber hair-pin. Downhill MTB at night without lights is a blast too.

I'd suggest stopping on the few corners that have parking areas to gather your nerves, drive back over and then do it all in one go now you've had practice.

Main tips are to avoid reacting to wind blown sways of the car, and if you're scared, just stop.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

As a favour to a friend in Italy I took a 7.5 tonne van across the Stelvio Pass in winter. After a hold-up at customs in Bolzano, I ended up doing the trip at night on sheet ice. I have never driven so carefully in all my life. Homeward was done in daylight and it was rather scary to see where I had driven the previous night.

I have been quite a few times to Italy and never had and problems in the north of the country however, in the south I had problems with theft, robbery and hijacking every visit. Be extra careful and keep the car doors locked and the windows closed while driving. Make sure you hotel has secure parking. With UK number plates; you will be a target!
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Forgot to mention to watch out for cyclists, especially on corners. Some of the corners are very steep on the inside so the cyclists have to go quite wide.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Yeah can recommend Como. Stayed in Varenna last August for a wedding. Superb.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
            Yeah can recommend Como. Stayed in Varenna last August for a wedding. Superb.
            Booked como, and looking forward to it, just need to work out the route down via pass.

Anyone got good stop off points? Espescially with good mountain biking (and hire of a cannondale... can't bike without a cannonadale!)

Comment

I stayed in Chur the night before when I went there, but it was a long trip to get the next day to get to Stelvio, along with lots of arguing about where we were thanks to somebody's satnav trying to take us over a bridge which hadn't been built yet. Good pizza at the top, then we left at 5pm with 400 miles still to do to get to a hotel near Monaco. That was a long day.

Agree about the cyclists. Loads of them. Not to mention caravans / caravanettes all over the road, and letting motorbikes past every 5 seconds. Going up wasn't exactly the great driving experience Top Gear and others have you believe, but coming down the other side was a lot more fun.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
              X