• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House buying and building regs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House buying and building regs

Saw a lovely house at the weeken, 3 bedrooms plus another one in a loft conversion the owner did himself. Apparently it has had all the inspections from building regs but not the final sign off. I dont really know how this will affect my insurance and/or impact on selling the house on later down the line. The owner has offered to pay for an indemnity policy which apparently covers me for any issues caused by the loft conversion.

The conversion itself looks very professional but I think it falls down as it doesn have a door (let alone a fire door), no mains operated fire alarm and no fire escape. It just has 2 velux windows onto the roof.

Any advice on how this will affect me?

I am trying here before I call a solicitor in the morning to get professional advice, as normally you guys are a well experienced, educated lot!

I was channel surfing at the weekend and watched the first 5 mins of Cowboy Builders on Channel 5 where the homeowner featured had the same issue.

Might be worth checking it out as it may have (some) of the information you need.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
      Saw a lovely house at the weeken, 3 bedrooms plus another one in a loft conversion the owner did himself. Apparently it has had all the inspections from building regs but not the final sign off. I dont really know how this will affect my insurance and/or impact on selling the house on later down the line. The owner has offered to pay for an indemnity policy which apparently covers me for any issues caused by the loft conversion.

The conversion itself looks very professional but I think it falls down as it doesn have a door (let alone a fire door), no mains operated fire alarm and no fire escape. It just has 2 velux windows onto the roof.

Any advice on how this will affect me?

I am trying here before I call a solicitor in the morning to get professional advice, as normally you guys are a well experienced, educated lot!
      An indemnity policy is normally a good idea of you are interested (I had the same when buying a house that the seller had neglected to get planning permission for an extension). But do speak to a solicitor, and weigh up any future problems of selling on or if you decide to rent it.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Why wasn't it signed off? If it was refused, I'd look at getting a discount / indemnity / it put right.

If he just didn't bother, I'd be inclined to get him to get it done.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The story is a sale fell through a few weeks ago due to a chain breaking down and the building regs was only raised as part of that survey.

So does this indemnity policy cover me pretty much? The vendor is offering to pay for it as they are desparate to move. Is there anything I need to be careful of?

Comment

Is there anything I need to be careful of?
            Get the solicitor to sort it. That's what you pay em (a princely sum) for.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Get the solicitor to sort it. That's what you pay em (a princely sum) for.
              Do I get the solicitor to sort it out before putting an offer in?

Comment

Do I get the solicitor to sort it out before putting an offer in?
                Unless you live in Scotland, no. Put an offer in, say it's subject to being able to get an indemnity on the missing building reg signoff.

If you don't like the deal with indemnity etc, you can walk away.

Comment

A few years ago we put an offer in on a place subject to survey. Survey showed the loft conversion hadn't been done according to regs; that was okay, as it wasn't actually in the listing as a loft conversion, merely a floored loft space.

What worried us, though, was the chimney breast had been taken out on ground and first floor but the rest of the chimney stack was still in the loft space.

Asked about building signoff for removing the chimney stack, as well as party wall permission and whether or not a proper RSJ had been put in to support the remaining brickwork.

Turns out that none of this had been done, and it was basically illegal. Took it up with our solicitor, who suggested an insurance indemnity. We reminded her that all the insurance in the world wouldn't be enough if the chimney stack caved in on our kids in the bedroom below.

If the building works don't have signoff then you're responsible if you own the place, even if they were done by the previous owner. You might find that even if this owner gives you an indemnity, a future purchaser may demand that you pay to put if right if you ever need to sell.

Comment

Get the building regs sign off or walk away, simples.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X